practice notes

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by matt macgown, Jul 14, 2004.

1. matt macgown

matt macgown Guest

Dec 1, 2003
    Chattanooga, TN
    A few days ago I suggested that Hedarian get a lefty bass. I didn't know if I was serious or not, so today I tried playing my bass lefty. Dang - I think it could be done. So I plan to spend some time each week on left handed playing of a right handed bass. If nothing else, it gives me an idea of what any new bass student is going through. And a new look at my bass. And BOW.

While I am about it - play with the bow reversed - play standing on one leg. Walk around in circles... Kinesthetics. Anything to relax the system, and laughing is good for that.
    Double bass is a biofeedback instrument at this age.

Practice music for retired grandpaws - especially if the grandkids are around - "The Clifford song." "Dora" - the Dora CD has a fierce bass run right at the start. "Beauty and the Beast." "Snow White. " Mr Rogers theme song. Watch the kids eyes light up when they hear even a crude version. And they start to sing along, automatically. (And if you really feel up to it, play this stuff in all keys... when grandpaw gets to thinking he's a pretty good bass player - there are any number of cures for that!)

Maybe it's the "second childhood."
    There is just no end to beautiful and fun kids' music. IMO.

Then there are the neighbors, who want to hear a "triple slap," and the two preachers up the street, who want to hear the Doxology every evening... (awful good for long, organ like bass tone). These basses are heard all over the neighborhood... and I don't want any complaints from the audience. Not in Mr Rogers' neighborhood, at least.
  2. You fright'n me mate...

:D :D
  3. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA

You might have the start of some cool stage theatrics there if you keep up playing with both hands. I can hear the crowds swooning already.... :p
  4. matt macgown

matt macgown Guest

Dec 1, 2003
    Chattanooga, TN
    Yep - well - bass fiddle is all about the public - ultimately. They don't give a darn what I think, personally. Used to be a singing bass player visit our group in Old Orchard, play bass, dance around - just a fun sort a feller, and all I could think was, why the heck can't I do that stuff. Deadly serious. Serious is far behind me! Theatrics - to some extent - is good form.
  5. [​IMG]

Marshall Lytle should give you some inspiration. :hyper:

I love the Comets!
  6. matt macgown

matt macgown Guest

Dec 1, 2003
    Chattanooga, TN
    I was already playing when Lytle came along, and didn't know what to make of him, or the Comets, but they were sure alive, and fun to watch. And my folks sold an awful lot of their records in the music store - I figure Lytle (and others) helped to put breakfast on the table at my house. I've recently read the web site (his). I can';t climb around a bass ike that though - I don't think... hmmm