Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Practice Oasis. Trying to improve mine/ Show off yours!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mz91, Feb 16, 2005.

1. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    I am not sure if this has been posted before.. or if im in the right forum so mods please feel free to move the post..

Lately i am in a slump with sitting down and practicing.. And i think some of it comes from the practice space i have which is in the corner of a room in the appartment and hiding behind the piano.. All my bass method books are lying on the top of the piano.. If i want to read one, i need to put the bass down, i cant comfortably do both.. And that hinders me wanting to sit down and practice.. Thus i decided to rework my practice space and "optimise" it.

Im pretty sure that there are alot of neat practice spaces here on talkbass.. There are always posts on show your gear. But i would like to see where you practice.. Be it your rooms etc. so i can get ideas to make mine more productive.. I hope this is clear...

If you have any tips on what makes your practice space comfortable enough for you to spend hours in there, please post em'.

Thanks a bunch!

Michael :D

2. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    I practice in my office at home, because i use the computer for the music/power tabs or whatnot that i practice to.

My wife gets on my case. I try and keep it down, but with thin walls, she says it "shakes the whole house".

oh well. Still gotta practice!

3. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland

Sounds really good joshua,
    Looking forward to seeing your setup!
    You have a wife that plays the drums!!!??? you lucky bastige ;)
    Been trying to get my girlfreind to start on something.. but 2 no avail :scowl:

4. Here is mine

It is in my "loft" in my bungalow.

I have my Signia Drum Kit, Gruitar Rig and Bass gear set and ready to roll.
    Also my PC/Cubase set-up, TV etc etc

So I can practice, surf, watch the football, etc, all in comfort. Wife minds not a bit - she says she knows where I am when I am up there. :hyper:

when we moved in it was a s***hole up there, but I put the floor in, painted etc etc, built the staircase etc. It has all I need.

I can be in there for hours... :p

Attached Files:

5. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    How the heck do you get amps up and down that ladder?

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Mine is just my room. I wheel the computer chair over, put my feet up on an old explosives crate I have (Kinda neat, I should post a pic sometime), and do my thing. I kinda wish I had a music oasis, and if I had a different room, I might even at that, but as of now...just rocking what I can.

7. Nice question. The ladder is one of the "paddle" design ones like these so you can walk forward or backwards up or down it. Angle is 60 degrees, and the opening ins 600mm by 1200mm.

My amps are all pretty light - bass cab is and Ashdown Mini15, guitar amp is a Fender hotrod Deluxe - all my gear I can carry in one hand, so it is not really any harder then a normal flight of staris in a 2 storey house. The drums do not go out any more - although they were my 1st instrument I rarely gig them - maybe the odd session is all.

I hate big heavy gear - hence the small bass rig. I may get a Mini 48 to go with the 15 as funds allow. :D

8. Still up here ;)

It is way too comfy :D

9. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
    Heres mine:
    [​IMG]
    Curbow's gone now though :crying:

10. No pics but mine's simply the rarely used 'formal' dining room (it was formal until the computer, bass and keyboard moved in). I sit on my amp (little 30W) with my back to the keyboard and occasionally I'll swing around and have a bash on the keys. Someday I'll keep my room clean and I'll setup there. I live at home so I only really have one room I can claim as my own, the others I just claim portions of.

I might have a guitar soon so I'll be adding that to the mix as well.

Josh D

11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    odd. i just moved an amp next to the computer as i have to learn a bunch of tunes for a couple of new bands and they're all on the pc. i seem to play a lot more like this. :meh:

12. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Wow!

Joshua has 2 spaces!!!
    and nottswarwick, that space looks really nice. I can imagine its very comfy up there...

Hmmm, i do have an extra room that serves as a guestroom.. So i guess im going to have to leave it alone.. But damn! i wish i had the space you two did!

M

13. Cheers, thanks. Apart from being up a ladder, it is ideal, so I can't grumble ;)

14. Can...ca...can I have it? :scowl:

15. Jim your house is nice man...I dig the windows...yeah I just transferred home from college...Im at SBU on long island so I just use by bedroom...BTW amps make great tables for stuff

16. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Mine is in my room.

I have my bass gear and guitar gear all on one side. I stack my fender frontman 25 on top of my yorkville 200. I have my music stand.

I have a bed. I sleep on that. I have fallen alseep playing hundrerds of times.

My awsome recording gear. 2 mics that connect to a black casette player my sister found in her basement.

My Cd player I use to play cds. And a chair I stub my toe on at night when I'm walking around at night