practice pains

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by florentinepogen, May 16, 2003.

1. Hi, I was hoping some of my more experienced bass brethren could offer some assistance to a TalkBass newbie.

I've been playing for two years but I've only gotten real serious about practicing for the past few months (sad isn't it). Sometimes when I practice for a while my left wrist gets really sore and stays sore into the next day. Is this something normal? Will I develop more strength as I play more? I remeber how much my fingertips hurt when I first picked up the guitar, but the callouses eventually came.

I'm concerned about carpal tunnel so I try not to squeeze the neck to hard. Any advice?
  2. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    My advice is listen to your body. If it hurts, that's your body's way of telling you it's a bad thing.

Do you know if you have good technique? If you do, you have far less chance of injury than if you don't have good technique.
  3. Like I said I try not to squeeze the neck to hard. The worst thing I do is lift my fingers to high off the fretboard, I try to improve that all the time
  4. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That's helpful.

IME, good technique includes playing with your left thumb directly behind your middle finger on the neck, and never venturning too high on the back of the neck.

Other points to consider is learning economy of motion and keeping your fingers curved. In addition, you should make sure you keep your fretting hand fairly straight.

BTW: This probably belongs in "Technique", not "Basses".
  5. Thanks for the advice, I guess my thumb can move up on the neck.

sorry about starting the thread in the wrong place, can I move it?
  6. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    No, you can't, but the mods can easy enough.

And about your problem, you should make sure that you keep your wrist of you fretting hand relativley straight as much as possible.