Practice 'phones?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by SantosL.Halper, Nov 1, 2000.

1. SantosL.Halper

Sep 27, 2000
    Hey. I have a bunch of non-bass gigs coming up, and have about 3 hours between shows to kill, so I'm gonna spend it practicing bass. Can anyone recommend some decent headphones for use with a bass? I have to carry alot of equip. so h/p's would be most practical. Thanks! -Dan
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I bought a Korg PX3B so I decided to get better headphones. I'm happy with the deal I got at on a used pair of AKG's. I guess they were a demonstrator pair but they look untouched and Zzounds gives you enough technical data on their stuff to make a fairly informed decision, as my decision was based on Hz response.
  3. Well, I guess it'll depend on your budget and on your tastes of the headphones. I'm sure all headphones you've seen will say that they have a range of 20Hz-20000Hz and sound pressure level of about 98 db. But it's all about how headphones are to your taste. And don't be fooled by getting good sound because it has some Super Bass or are really big. Personally, I've tried many a headphones and a very versatile and cheap (but not exactly really pretty) are the Koss Porta Pro for $50. Another great pair are the Grado SR60s ($70) or SR80s ($100).

If you want to see different frequency responses for some headphones, check out
    They give their input on headphones and graphs of the frequency response.
  4. I have sony mdrcd60's.. they definitely aren't hifi.. but they work well enough for me.. and they were only 20 bucks

they put out enough low end for when I get an urge to play for a while at night, but for extended practice you may want to shell out a bit more for something that will give you a bit better sound
  5. I would check out the Sennheiser HD400. Approximate cost $70.00. They have a low bass end. I use mine all the time while practicing.

Again like everything else it will come down to personal taste and comfort.
  6. i'd have to second the sennheiser's, they've got a decent amount of bass that produces an even honest responce and reproduction, and thats what you need to improve your playing, not some artifical naisal sound

it's very warm and easy on your ears

i have the HD490 model and i got them very cheaply, i live in England and the RRP is £50 i got them for £35

you'd be a fool if you didn't consider them