1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Practice playing to chord charts

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by nicoli, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Does anyone know an online resource with something like recorded backing tracks to accompany chord charts? I just want to practice playing my chord tones and walking lines to some pre-recorded music, be it midi or actual instrumentation or whatever.

The option of just playing a chart to a metronome is kind of boring, and I figure the other option is I create my own midi backing tracks and charts but I think I would just stay in a rut or keep practicing the same material I already know if I did that.

Does anyone know of a site, or have another suggestion? Although I play 2-3 shows a week on average, I don't play live situations very often where I have to follow a sheet. It would be nice to be able to practice following a chart playing with others when I'm not actually playing with others.

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Check Youtube. I know there are a couple jazz standards that are uploaded that have the bass track removed and that also show the chords to the tune as it plays.

3. vishalicious

vishalicious

Mar 31, 2011
    Yonkers, NY
    MalcolmAmos posted two a little while ago. You can find them in the following post, about halfway down.

How do I practice?

4. Band in a Box was designed for this sort of thing. iRealb does a similar type of thing, and you can practice on headphone with an iPhone or iPad.

5. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Jaime Abersold (sp?).

6. I've used this site: Free Jam Tracks and Backing Tracks, and if you go to the bass tracks, the bass is mostly removed, but it will tell you the song keys and usually their chord progression.

I just transfered these files to my ipod (there's about 60 of them), and the file has the key name in it (but not if it's major or minor), and then I really use that knowledge of the key center, play it a couple of times through figuring out by ear what the chord progression is and what chords they are and the scale of the song, and then I play through a couple more times improvising over the changes once I have a solid grip on them.

7. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Vision Music

8. Thanks for the suggestions... The free jam tracks should keep me busy for a while, and I hadn't really considered youtube for some reason but I'm sure it's pretty endless on there.

9. Look at getting the software Band In a Box.

PG Music Inc. - Band-in-a-Box, RealBand, and more

Many fakebooks are already in BIAB format, plus you can make your own chord charts / exercises. You can also alter tempo, time signature, keys and rhythm feel as you want.

10. Band In a Box does look pretty great, but I'm currently not working other than gigs and am in a dirt poor cash flow situation so free is definately better right now.

11. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    +1 on Band in a Box, Aebersold, and my new favorite iRealbook.

12. Already In Use

Already In Use

Jan 3, 2010
    I print lyrics...write in the chords...find the tunes on you tube...play them thru my pa with most of the bass tuned out. Works good for me..helps learning songs to play with others.