Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Practice program

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by mijarra, Jan 26, 2001.

1. mijarra

mijarra

Jan 20, 2001
    I am trying to get some organization to my practice schedule. My current plan is to spend about an hour a day (hopefully) divided up into different areas. I have a general idea of how I want to do this, but I was wondering how everyone divides up their personal practice sessions so maybe I could get some ideas. I think I am looking at something like this:

10 mins: Chromatic drill- to warm up and work on technique
    10 mins: Scales and modes, again to work on technique
    20 mins: Lessons, not sure from where. Gonna have to find a book or something (any suggestions?)
    20 mins: Learning songs

Anyone have any advice?

2. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Use Mel Bay books for begining techniques and stuff. He is the dude I use and so far so good.

As far as the other shtuff is concerned I would say in the begining that is probably good but don't be rigid in that schedule. Try to adjust your schedule according to where you feel you are weakest. You will get a feel for that as time goes by.

Good luck and welcome to the ranks of the Earth Shakers.

3. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    If you don't already know how, spend some of that lesson time learning to read music in standard notation.

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I'd add in some work with a metronome or drum machine to that schedule...even fifteen minutes most days would help tremendously. You can practice your scales and modes with a metronome. If you add in learning standard notation, you can do little drills of reading with a metronome too. THat way you kill two birds with one stone.

jason oldsted

5. mijarra

mijarra

Jan 20, 2001
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

Does anyone use activebass.com at all? It has lots of little lessons plus a tuner and a metronome. Seems like it could be useful. The only thing is that practicing in front of the PC might be distracting.

6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Activebass.com is an excellentweb site for bass players. I would suggest, however, that eventually you do buy your own tuner and metronome for ease of use away from a computer and for taking to band practices (the tuner.) Both tuners and metronomes can be bought for as cheap as twenty dollars, though you can pay a lot more for ones with bells and whistles. I also have a tuner/metronome combination. It cost closer to forty dollars, but is worth it for having both gadgets in one unit.

jason oldsted

7. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    correct me if i'm wrong.

aren't most, if not all, the activebass lessons in tab?

i personally prefer standard notation.

fred

8. mijarra

mijarra

Jan 20, 2001
    Activebass.com lessons are in tab with a sound sample. I struggle to read standard notation at this point, but I hope to get better.

9. voodster

voodster

Feb 14, 2001
    Singapore
    I've been to Activebass a few times. If you know what you want then try to find specifically it in the search. I found some good lessons.

The only problem I found was that a lot of beginners use it to try to show off their licks and a lot of them are not cool/good/useful. That just causes a lot of clutter.

10. I like Activebass.com, but read notation, not tab, and have no intention of ever learning it.

11. Mel Bay makes great beginner books. When I practice I usually do the following:

15 min.- scales, chop builders, etc.

10 min.- funk/slap/metronome

10- 20 min.- book work/metronome

15 min.- writing/reading work

rest of the time I do whatever, jam along with a cd and stuff. I see it as a reward. That's just me though. Make your own work out for what works best for you. I don't really have strict times. I just take however long it takes me to be truthful. I'm actually too disorganized to set up a strict schedule. I guess I'd see it as making my music too materialistic and not enough feeling.