Practice question

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by sailor, Jun 23, 2001.

1. sailor

Jun 10, 2001
    How do you guys practice? If I am not careful, I find myself practicing what I am comfortable with and not pushing myself to learn new techniques. I am thinking of getting a practice aid like the Toneworks Pandora or something similar to help with practice. Any suggestions as far as practice technique or practice aids that could help me get better and not just keep practicing what I already know? Thanks.
  2. sailor

Jun 10, 2001
    Agyeman: I know basic music theory. My first degree was in Music Education and I taught for a few years. Is the info you suggest specific to the bass? I will check it out because it has been a few years and I am rusty. Do you think any of the electronic aids with sampling, play back in different keys, etc. are helpful? I am also getting my first 5 string and making that transition. Any helpful hints there? Thanks again.
  3. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    I don't know how to help then as I myself have only been playing for 5 months, and I am stuck into learning some theory. That is keeping me busy and pushing me.
  4. sailor

Jun 10, 2001
    agyeman: The Wheat book site is great! Thanks for the tip.
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Thanks, Sailor; everytime I mention the mantra, "Practice what you don't know", several guys HERE @TB chirp in & say, "...of course, everyone practices what they don't know. DUH!"(Turner!) ;)
    I don't agree with 'them' on that issue...IMHO, people are inherently lazy & gravitate towards the already famaliar.
    Just one man's opinion. ;)

Anyway, a drum machine may be your ticket; the Pandora/Toneworks unit has a lotta different "tones" & a rhythm box. Problem? I don't think you can program the drums, you're basically stuck with what Korg gives you.

With a programmable drum machine, you can practice grooves & at the same time, learn something about how drummers phrase(by learning how to program a drum part...NOT the same thing as actually playing a kit, but, you know). ;)
    With a "drummer" at your disposal, you can practice grooves with the machine & also against the machine...that is, play in-between the cracks(rather than playing strictly with the kick, you can experiment by moving/shifting things around).
    Also, you can experiment with other "time-bending" methods...playing in 5 vs. the machine's 4/4; playing in 4 vs. the machine's 6, etc.

If none of that sounds appealing, how 'bout immersing yourself in a genre of music that you may not be as strong Latin/Afro-Cuban or Reggae, Calypso, Soca, etc.