1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Practice / recording amp : Mark Bass Mini CMD 121P Combo ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TontoZed, Mar 20, 2018.

1. TontoZed

TontoZed

Mar 18, 2018
    Scotland
    I am guitarist with a lovely new Gibson SG SS bass.

I am looking for an amp for practice and recording.

I am trying to make sense of all the amp options out there - eek !

I am homing in on the MB121 combo as my choice. Is this a dumb choice ? are there better options I should be looking at?

I absolutely don't want any fan noise - it will drive me crazy.

My music is 70's classic rock. My fav bass player is of course Andy Fraser.

Oh, and it would nice to be able play small pub gigs with the amp (that is if I ever get asked to play bass - ha!)

thanks in advance for any thoughts

2. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I have that amp and love it. It's so small and mighty. It has plenty of push for smaller gigs and if needed, drives an extension cab nicely.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  3. TontoZed

TontoZed

Mar 18, 2018
    Scotland
    bigtone23 ;thanks for reply. zero fan noise ?

4. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Not zero, very very quiet.

5. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    I had mine setup in the studio the other day. I did hear more fan noise than I expected. However, I’ve mic’d the amp on several recordings and no one ever heard or said anything about any fan noise.

6. I use my CMD121P for rehearsal, gigs (with either my NY121 or my Ninja 122 extension cab) and I use it for recording as well. I am very happy with it.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  7. TontoZed

TontoZed

Mar 18, 2018
    Scotland
    Jason Hollar likes this.
  8. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    The two things I don’t like about this combo are the non-adjustable tweeter and the top handle that’s not the most rugged design.

Otherwise it’s been a lovely, portable “cube amp” for casuals and country club gigs. It’s also a fine studio tool with a clean DI and flexible EQ.

I recently added the NY121 cab which brings out the best in the CMD on stage. So far, so good. If you get one you can chime in on my MB mini stack thread!

Show your Markbass Mini CMD 121P / NY 121 stack

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  9. Rollin Thunder

Rollin Thunder

Mar 20, 2017
    was looking at a couple of fender rumble amps today and had a try on the MB 121p, holy poopie its awesome just the sound i was looking for, the fenders where very good but this just felt like the bass amp i had always expected a bass amp to sound like. double the cost of the fender rumble 12" and slightly more than the rumble 200 15" but its makes those very good amps seem mortal, and so light. got to get one.

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I terms of performance, the CMP121P was the best combo I ever owned. I wish I still had it.

Jason Hollar likes this.
  11. You owe it to yourself to check out the Genzler 350 Combo. You may decide the Markbass is still for you but you shouldn't buy without considering this amazing piece of kit.

Genzler 350 combo