Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Practice/Rehearsal places

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by rmrf, Mar 10, 2006.

1. rmrf

rmrf

Mar 6, 2006
    Holiday, FL
    Where are your bands practicing?

Right now we are playing in our drummer's garage, but he lives too far from us and we are trying to find any other place to play together.

Thanks

2. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    In my front room. My mother despairs of ever finding me with a pretty livingroom, that has furniture and such. No. Mine is always full of PA speakers, mic stands, and instruments. :)

Cherie :)

3. My basement. I finished off rooms before I got back into playing, so my workshop is now my practice room. It's a bit "cozy" but it works. Bless my wife for allowing it too :)

4. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Couple of places - drummer's living room for low volume woodshed sessions, and our church for 3/4 volume polishing sessions.

5. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    We rent a rehearsal room, paying a fixed sum per hour.

6. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2003
    MSP
    My basement, in the last year I did a complete remodel, it was unfinished. Now I have a nice room dedicated to the band, carpeted floor, sheet rock walls with curtains hanging on the walls for sound dampening. Dedicated practice PA, fridge in the next room, it is very nice, comfortable and sounds wonderful.
    Lex

7. rmrf

rmrf

Mar 6, 2006
    Holiday, FL
    How much is it?

8. I rehearse a lot at this place on Rivington Street in NYC. Our trumpet player knows the owner and he must get a great deal on rent because he doesn't ask us for a dime. It's small but it works. I rehearse in another room in that building that's shared by Ben Perowsky, Adam Rogers and Kenny Wollesen. It's always fun to stop by and see who's there. Sometimes I get to jam with them!

Another place we've used before is a rehearsal/recording studio in Astoria, Queens called Astoria Sound Works. Depending on the room and the time of day, they charge anywhere from $10 to $33 per hour which is very reasonable. I think we got a $15 room that was fully equipped with drums, cymbals, two half-stack Marshalls, a full Trace Elliot stack and a nice PA. Not too shabby! The drummer in that group also has a place in Astoria that he uses mainly as a private practice room and since he also pays next-to-nothing for it, he doesn't charge any of us to use it. So basically, I haven't had to pay a dime for rehearsing in any of these places!

I do some rehearsing at my apartment but we usually can't get very loud or play very late. I used to live by myself in a three-bedroom house with a full basement. I had two seperate setups (drumkit, PA, instruments and amps) in the "dining room" and another one in the basement so we could jam (or rehearse) at any time no matter where we were or what time it was. Ah, those were the days!

9. Our manager lives out in the woods, miles from civilization, and has an enormous deck with full bar/outdoor kitchen, and a big stage built with our full stage rig hooked up, lights and all. So we practice out there late and loud. It's good because it keeps us fresh on sound and lighting that we experience live. It's probably overkill, but if the shoe fits...

10. groucho

groucho

Sep 28, 2005
    Ringwood NJ
    We practice -
    In a first floor apt in Hoboken NJ

In my recording studio (www.hinterlandmusic.net)

In a rehearsal hall with beat up gear and other
    bands blasting through the walls for $15 an hour!

Depends on the night:rolleyes:

The interesting one is the apt in Hoboken -I built a special matrix box and snake to allow Behringer (or any other)
    mini mixers, to chain together and let everybody do their own mix to taste of the other guys. While sending out an
    AUX signal to feed the other mixers, you have your own instrument (like a vocal mic and your bass) feeding into
    your mini mixer and headphones - the other guys come back to you on line inputs into other channels - works
    like DA BOMB... I wuz even thinking of marketing the boxes and snakes :D

We use UB802 and UB1202 mixers - 4 of 'em.

11. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    Universal rehearsal, Garland T.X.

12. snapple

snapple

Nov 25, 2003
    Victoria-Vancouver Canada
    Endorsing Artist: PCL Vintage Amps
    One band jams at this place called the Rockspace... yeah standard by the hour rental space. The other practices in a drum warehouse that my singer works for.

13. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    After many months, I've been able to occupy a small alcove in my basement. It's pretty relaxing. Not quite done yet, and not even how I envisioned it. Acoustics are not bad, but I play pretty quietly.

14. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    and some better shots of the gear.

15. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    just a few more...

16. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I think this is it...

17. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah, that's about it.

18. Hey guys, would love to see some pictures of where you guys rehearse.

19. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Exactly the same as you.

Distance is an even split. It's a short distance for two of us (the drummer -- heh -- and me) and a bit of a drive for the other two.

'rick

20. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    I don't think it's gonna say alot to you, but if we convert it to USD it's about $18 for 2 hrs reharsal.