1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Practice/Rehearsal places

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by rmrf, Mar 10, 2006.

1. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    My last band, in the singer's basement. Fortunately, no neighbors who minded, and he lived alone:

http://www.drivinsouth.com/images/rehearsal-room/rehearsalroom01.jpg

My life-long, and currently only, band, in the singer's basement...hahaha...NO neighbors there, but he has a girlfriend, so we try not to run really late on weeknights (and we all have day jobs, so that's not a bad thing):

http://www.lethargytartare.com/caves/bandroom1.jpg
    http://www.lethargytartare.com/caves/bandroom2.jpg

Something very gratifying to have such dingy dungeon-like rehearsal spaces...also makes EVERY bar gig feel like a huge step up in the world :)

Acoustics are always the problem. In the latter of those pics, we moved the drums and everything around, and had great sound for a while. Then they had to move a ton of stuff, and they ended up with a wall of boxes and such in an area where, before, there was only open space. The result -- horrible feedback when we tried to play at volume. So we usually have to be creative with acoustic dampers (or, as we call them, blankets, egg cartons, and chunks of foam)...

ltt

2. jaysun

jaysun

Dec 24, 2005
    we jsut use the basement of our church. they let us use the youth group's PA for the mics and keyboard. there is plenty of room, and we can store drums and large cabs in the closet.

3. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P. Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2003
    MSP
    As requested, fairly sanitary compared to some spaces that were posted. Before I had finished the basement it was quite a bit rougher looking.

I used brass curtain hangers to hang copper tubing which I slid the curtains over. Along with the carpet the room sounds wonderful. Almost studio like.
    Lex

Attached Files:

4. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    we rent a practice space by the month. we share with another band so it's considerably cheaper. it's not a big deal because we're all good friends, and our guitarist is in both bands. the place is kind of a **** hole, but we know our gear is safe and we never have to worry about being too loud. www.soundmuseum.net

5. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    We rent a room by the month at Universal Rehearsal Studios in Dallas, Texas. It's about the size of a one-car garage, and it costs us each $75 a month. We wind up practicing about 15 hours or so each month, so that works out to be about $5 per hour per person. It's also useful as a storage place that keeps us from always having to lug our gear when it's time to practice. I would much rather load-in/load-out only for gigs and not for practice.

We also meet a lot of cool people there, from first-time students taking drum lessons to big-name acts such as Ted Nugent, Leann Rimes, and Drowning Pool, to name just a few. A lot of touring acts come through and rent out some of the bigger rooms that they have by the hour to rehearse new material. Drowning Pool actually has a HUGE room on the second floor that is their home base of operations and practice whenever they're not out touring. There's also a pro-shop and guitar repair guy who is top-notch.

The drawbacks are that the walls could be insulated better, because there is one band that practices behind us that just sucks the life out of our rehearsals.

6. groucho

groucho

Sep 28, 2005
    Ringwood NJ
    On the topic - I was in a hard rock band many years ago
    in my "piss n' vinegar" years (by crackey) and
    we got a rehearsal room - under a bowling alley!

After about two practices (during the busy weeknight
    leagues) we got a visit from the manager of the bowling
    alley...We had to TURN DOWN as we were disturbing
    the bowlers:eek:

Honest to god...
    Like something out of a Weird Al video...

7. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I bet you got blamed for countless missed spares! :D