Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Practice room.. How do you arrange your amps in relation to the drum kit etc?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chris h, Jul 12, 2002.

1. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Not sure weather to post this in AMPS or SETUP so feel free to move it if you deem appropriate!

I am soon to be moving to a house with a soundproof room about the size of a garage. The initial idea was to have the drums at one end and the bass and guitar amps at the other, facing the drum kit.

My other idea is to have the drums along the longer side wall with the bass equipment to one side and the guitar stuff to the other, all facing the same direction as the bass drum.

Sometimes it feels like with setup 1 that the sounds all bang into eachother in an ugly mess and idea two might be more workable.

Any tips? How do you do yours? Do you think it matters?!

Thanks.:)

2. I don't think it matters that much, although with option 2 the band members not behind the drums would have better sound picture(?) than the drummer because all speakers are directed away from him/her.
    We use the first option when we rehearse.

By the way, I'm very jealous!!!:mad: :D

3. Chris- First of all, I wish I had a "soundproof" room in my house, it would solve so many problems. Anyway, probably the most important things to remember in practices is to have personal area, where you arent cluttering up the entire room, with cables leading all over the place. Have everyone take one spot, and stay there. You can configure your amp settings from there, and honestly if it is a soundproof room, the sound might seem very different because the acoustics will be drastically different from everywhere else. Just try each taking a corner or something, and then point your amps (drums) toward the rest of the room.

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    My band sets up in the corners

bass guitar2
    drums guitar

with everyone facing inwards

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i think a good setup would be like a real stage setup. also, the amps could be slightly turned inward in a flat semi circle shape too.

have everyone face the same direction with drums in the middle, guitar on one side, bass on the other. this way nobody's amp is pointing or blasting into the face of another. cause, when someone thinks someone else is too loud, then he turns up, and it becomes a vicious cycle.

i actually got this idea from a picture in the liner notes to Pearl Jam's "No Code". there's a shot of them practicing in their rehearsal hall.

6. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    We do the corners thing, too -- drums, bass, guitar, singer/PA. We're in a really small space and have occaisional problems with feedback, but it works out OK. Something closer to an actual stage setup would certainly be preferable, though, space allowing.

7. In the old practice room which was large we setup like the stage setup:

Guitar - Drums - Bass - Guitar

which PA monitors facing back towards us.

Now in a small rectangular box, we set up in pretty much a circular formation, bass and drums facing the two guitars, with the PA monitors facing out from the drums on the floor, and the PA stack back against the furthest wall from the drums. Whatever works and sounds best to you.

8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I've always practiced with the drums against one wall and everyone else facing the drummer. Basically a circle. It's real easy to communicate this way. The problem is when you play a gig you're not used to the setup of not facing each other.

9. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    same here.

i once saw a band.. the drummer was set up with his back to the crowd and the rest of the group was in front of the drums facing the audience.. interesting..

10. there was a band that was big and mainly around boston they had to do that with the drummer at a time have him backwards. the singer/guitar player befor they broke up started to get this thing when loud or typs of sound hurts you ear. it pretty common .

i have seen bands have the drummer bass drum and set face the wall .whats the point of this.they allso do it ina primus video.

11. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Fishbone?

AJ

12. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    a minor forest? they used to play like that.

-steve

13. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    IMHO, I've always maintained that you should rehearse using the same setup as the gig.

14. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Ok thanks. We will experiment with the layout. I think the most important part is to have room to chill and sit around. We're going to have a sofa in there and a coffee table, Room for the mixing desk and so on, and have some multi-coloured lights which can be blended with white lights, just for fun. also lits of Lava Lamps and stuff like that! (also loads of power-points and a power station, possibly nuclear). should be excellent. I will try and post some pictures once it is complete:cool:

Thanks for your advice!
    P.s CS-how you doing?! you should come and see it sometime!

15. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I'm doing ok. I might even take up your kind offer sometime.

16. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Cool. dont really know how long its gonna take.. :oops: Oh and I ordered another HA3500 and a 4x10XL cab! at last!

Speak to you soon mate,
    Chris

17. grindmore

grindmore

Jun 21, 2002
    brooklyn
    warwickben is talking about mission to burma. early 80's experimental post punk. their vocalist/guitarist roger miller(?) got tenitis, which if not taken care of can lead to deafness. he also wore construction worker type earphones to protect his ears. real good stuff though.

18. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Oh.....

I guess I should have read the message all the way through. I know Roger,but I have never seen mission to burma play (little before my time) I enjoy the alloy ochestra and since hes joined them Ive gotten to know him a bit.

Fish from fishbone was so disgusted by the demographic of his audience that he would play with his back to the audience.

On topic I like if the room allows to set up in on stage arangement.

AJ

19. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    we practice in my room until we get an AC for our jam room, so this is how it is set up for now...

20. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Bet you have to strap the drummer into some sort of harness to stop him being blown away by the rather large fan!

Looks pretty cool. Has anyone else got pics of their practice rooms?

Cheers.