1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Practice Routine

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Scottbj79, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Scottbj79

Scottbj79

Mar 23, 2015
    Bremerton, WA
    Hello all,
    I have recently (in the last week) got back to playing music after a 5 year brake. I am looking for a good practice routine to get my chops back up to par.

A little background on my playing, I have played music on and off since I was 6 starting with the Violin, then moving to the clarinet, bass clarinet and finally the contra bass clarinet. In High school I also picked up the bass guitar. From there I moved to the double bass in my early twenties. I played for years in Rockabilly and bluegrass groups. Now after my 5 year break I was asked to join up as a alternate bass player for a gypsy jazz group. I am finding my chops are weak at best and my right and left hand work are both sloppy.

Knowing myself, I know that playing with other people will force me to progress faster than just practicing at home but I also feel I need to develop a good routine at home and for once am at a loss of where to start. I have gone through a bunch of the threads on here but am feeling a bit overwhelmed with the options and suggestions.

Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  2. jahan

jahan

Dec 12, 2004
    Alameda, California
    I start off every day with scales and arpeggios. I try to do all my scales from lowest point on the fingerboard to highest and always use a drone, such as Richard Schwartz "The Tuning CD". Annoying as hell, but really telling as far as your intonation is concerned. For Arpeggio's I really like using Levinson's School of Agility book. There's a section in the back called Arpeggio's for daily practice. I've actually made an accompaniment for this routine on iReal Pro which you can program to raise up a 4th after every cycle and makes this a lot more fun. After that, I just figure out what I screwed up on my last gig, and try to work on not doing it on my next. That's my routine these days.

murrayonbass and Scottbj79 like this.