practice routine?

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by pgoat, Oct 4, 2002.

1. pgoat

Sep 5, 2002
    Mr Watt:

Apologies if this was already covered somewhere and I missed it....

Obviously after playing all these years you probably don't need a whole heck of a lot of practicing , especially whilst on tour, when you get a workout and a half nightly.

But , just wondering, if you get some downtime between projects, do you practice daily to keep limber and if so, any particular excercises/scales/warmups?

I tend to be lazy and just zoom into a song full tilt when with the band and my hands are suffering.

also, stupid question but does your cycling ever affect your hands? we're roughly the same age - I'm a lifelong bike commuter and the last few years my hands have been doing the carpel tunnel symptomy thing - only if I am doing LOTS of riding and playing at the same time. I use a flat ATB/MTB bar. I was curious since you do a hefty ride regularly if you use drop (road racing) bars for different hand positions?

Thanks so much for any insight!!
  2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

I have to prac everyday or I really start to get lame. good for my band(s) too. music is about playing together as well as just for yourself. I don't do scales and stuff like that so much except to just warm up. I prac songs w/my guys. have a pad here in pedro, I can pedal to it on my bike.

as for the bike, I did have pain when I first started riding again (I didn't ride from around seventeen to thirtyeight - what an idiot!), it used to kill my wrists. I know it was the bike cuz when I went on tour, the pain left. what I did was get higher handlebars. the low ones have all your weight sitting on your wrists and that was a disaster. higher handlebars (like those apehangers on old stingrays) shift your weight to your rear end and off of your wrists. sure, you're not as aeordynamic, sitting upright like that but it sure is easier on the wrists. I'm not a jock anyway and am not that concerned w/being blazing fast. I've never been in a race and don't plan too. I pedal for my heart and mind.

on bass, watt

3. pgoat

Sep 5, 2002
    Cool, Mike! Is Riding the poop or what? I can't think of a bad thing to say about cycling. If everyone did it within their limits and abandoned internal combustion engines - when possible/practical - the world would surely improve as a result.......

I myself laid off riding from about 15 to 20 yrs old - then my old rustbucket Chevy 210 gave up the ghost and I had to get to the factory somehow. Dusted off the old 10 speed and have never looked back.

I too am no Lance Uberstrong but I like a road bike with the bent over thing sometimes. Amazing how just a little adjustment matters! - raising the bars like you said is a biggie, but even the angle you keep your brake handles at counts over many miles.

My next move is to move out of the dark ages and get suspension. Without it I'd say I've got 5 more years tops to throw a leg over a saddle!

Hope that info helps anyone who reads this and is experiencing pain/discomfort. Your everyday activities (typing, writing, etc) can really mess you up over time, so keep in touch with yer body and all!:p

Worst trouble I ever had was when I was playing in two bands - guitar in one, bass in another, and I was riding a motorcycle around. Very stiff clutch so my left wrist forearm was in agony all day long. I was like 27 then too, so I couldn't blame it on old age - like I do everything else now!;)
  4. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

great advice:

"keep in touch with your body."

hear hear!

as for pedalin' on a bike, I very much do dearly love it!

on bass, watt