Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

practice routines...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by zacpac, Aug 28, 2002.

1. zacpac

zacpac Guest

Jun 18, 2002
    Corpus Christi, TX
    i have a pretty busy day now that school and football have started...and i was concentrating on learning my theory and i've been getting no where for a long time...i know about how theory works and why (not all of it but i know the basics) but i havent really done much on my bass to get my ears working...so can you guys give me any help on giving me a daily routine for practicing and learning my theory? i dont know how long i can practice...it all depends on when i get home and how tired i am etc... but i think that if i have something to practice that i can stick with and not change my mind or get side-tracked with, i can get a lot more accomplished...if you need any more info just ask...thanks for helping

2. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
  3. zacpac

zacpac Guest

Jun 18, 2002
    Corpus Christi, TX
    yeah thats sorta what im looking for but i need it in a little more depth...

like what to practice when im practicing scales and stuff like that...like a guide to help me learn my scales and develop my ear...

4. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56761

Check out that thread. It should contain links I'm sure you'd be interested in. You mentioned you don't know how long you can practice for so it's hard to determine what you can get in in your practice time.

As for scales, what I do when I practice scales is play each scale in 2 octaves up and down the fretboard. I've been inspired by a recent article in Bass Player (Sept. 2002 issue...you might want to check it out.) on practicing scales...at the same time developing your ear. It goes something like this, and I will use the C major scale as an example:

Start on the note C Say out loud, something like, 'starting on the 1st degree, which is C.' Play the note C, listening carefully at it's pitch. Then, when you have that pitch clear in your mind, sing it out loud. The continue: 'Ascending a major 2nd to the 2nd degree of the scale, which is D.' Now, it says to sing the note before you play it. Concentrate on hearing the note in your mind. Then check the pitch you sang against the pitch you play. Continue this up the entire scale, 2 octaves if you can.

The articles also goes on more about different patterns you can do this exercise with. It's a worthwhile read.

Hope this helps,
    Stephanie :)

PS: It would also be worthwhile to get a teacher sometime in between all that's going on, even if it's just a 1 hour lesson per month.

5. zacpac

zacpac Guest

Jun 18, 2002
    Corpus Christi, TX
    hey thanks that sounds like a good idea...

i'd get a teacher but i dont have the time or the money...(i have school and football and i need money for a car and bass stuff)