Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PRACTICE / SMALL COMBOS

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MODNY, Mar 14, 2005.

1. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    Hey Ladies and GEnts

i'm looking to acquire a small 1 12 combo. something that i can play my 5 string basses, and possibly my upright bass

what should i be looking at?
    heres what i am thinking about

genz benz somethinsomething

phil jones bbriefcase

ebs drome

swr baby blue 2

personally, i wouldn't mind having a small 12 cabinet, and 300 watt amplifier, and fund permitting, i might go that way

let me know what u guys think

2. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I have been using a GK MB 150E for many years...
    I recently replaced the speaker with a GK replacement speaker ....

Pros
    It sounds good..not great but its the perfect amp for rehearsals..
    small gigs ..
    it weighs 22 lbs....
    its reliable..you can hook up extension speakers or turn off the internal speaker and drive a seperate cab 150 w @ 4 ohms...
    has some nice features....
    you can go direct to the house PA
    great for upright

Cons
    They are pricey new...
    Sound on a scale of 1 - 10 - 10 the highest I would give it a 7.5
    I recall reading about some issues with the new model on here on Talkbass..
    dont se them used too often..

late edit to my post.. there are many great choices out there..I also own the Scout Combo and its in a different league from the GK. I have used the Walkabout head with other cabs and its all good..

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, you have lots of choices! If you play your 5-string at any volume, though, you might not want to go with the Briefcase (unless you don't mind powering an external cab when you play 5-string). I really like my Briefcase with upright, and it is fine for fairly quiet practice sessions, but you certainly won't hear a low B with any great authority. Use it to power two Bergie 1x12's, though, and that little 100w amp can roar!

If you are looking at 1x12 combos, then I would certainly add the EA iAMP combos to your list. Chances are, an iAMP 200 Wizzy Combo would do the trick for you (but you can also get this set up as an iAMP 500 Combo, which is probably what I would do). A lot of electric players like the Walkabout Scout Combo, but I haven't heard much on its use for upright amplification.

If you are opening your options to a seperate 300w head and 1x12 cab (which I generally think is a good idea), you can really go nuts. The first combo that comes to mind is a Mesa Boogie Walkabout with an EA Wizzy. If you know that you only want to use one 1x12, the Wizzy is nice in that it is a 4 ohm cab, and will give you full power from most amps (300w at 4 ohm for the Walkabout). But, if you want to use two, you are now dealing with a 2 ohm load, which may be problemmatic. The Wizzy sounds great on upright, and is very full sounding. It handles a low B fairly well, but not earthshaking with just one (two will, though!).

Probably the best low B response in a single 1x12 that I have tried would be the Epifani T-112 (non-UL). Just one of these can really put out the low end, but if you are going to play at high volumes, I'd be prepared to push it with at least 3-400 watts (at 8 ohm). At low volume, it sounds great with the Walkabout (which puts out around 175w into an 8 ohm load), but it will loose tightness in the low end if you push it hard. The T-112 sounds especially good with a T-110UL (or, with a Bergie HT112! :p).

Speaking of Bergantino, the HT112 is a killer cab as well. This would be an excellent choice for upright, and while its low B is not as strong as the T-112, it is quite adequate for most reasonable volume situations. Pair it with an EX112, or a second HT112, and the low end response increases dramatically. And, as mentioned, the T-112/HT112 combo is a great pairing.

4. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    idealy i would really like to get a accugroove 1 12, but i dont have the cash right now,

is the mesa amp that good though? does it have a parametric eq?

i live in hamilton ontario, and i have no idea where to acquire an epfani cab either! eek

does ebs make a 1 12 cab??

thanks for the help

ps: whjat othe coices oh amplifier heads do i hve?>

5. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Yes, I forgot to mention the Accugroove Tri 112. I have not tried one, but I own a Tri 110, Tri 208, Tri 210L, and Whappo, Jr., so I am sure it is good!

I really do like the Walkabout. You can hear its preamp section on basstasters. I find that with the MOSFET amp section, it is a bit more warm than what you hear in those clips. It does have a 3-band parametric EQ section, but in all honesty, it might be a tad bit too colored for upright. Personal preference would be the call, here. BTW, I tried a number of heads with the Tri 210L (including Walter Woods, iAMP 800, and Thunderfunk), and the Walkabout sounded the best of the bunch, tonally. I think it would pair well with the Tri 112, too.

But, the Walter Woods and iAMP 500/800 are especially well suited for doubling on electric and upright, and should certainly be considered. An iAMP 500 with a Tri 112 would make for a great little combo that is uncolored and extremely flexible. The Thunderfunk head would probably also work well.

Tom.

6. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    well

i already have an eden wt-600 powering my tri210l so i wont change that

maybe i can find a small mark bass head at a good price

7. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    I got a roland DB500 for practicing with my fiver.
    The little but heavy sucker is quite impressive even at a low B.

danman

8. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I second the Walkabout, but I suggest going the whole nine yards and getting the Walkabout Scout combo. It is very portable, has a great sound and because the Walkabout head pops out of the unit, you now have a great head for bigger venues. I've never come across a combo that has as much punch as the Scout. Last time I checked there was a used one in mint condition at my local guitar shop for $750.

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    :eek: That is a very good deal!!!

10. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Speaking of small combos, Don at Low Down showed me his lattest project. He's building a potraflex combo based on the A.I. Clarius with one of his own wide range, small package speaker combos, Very cool!
    The whole thing folds into a box the size of a 1 X 12 Cabinet, with the head mounted to the flip over top for transportation.

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Yeah, he told me about that. It sounds very cool! Is it paired with the 3-way 1x8?

12. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    Yes it is. Like I said, it was there last week, but I can't guarantee it's still there. You can contact Tim at Dave's Guitar Shop in La Crosse, WI to check (608-785-7704) or check their website at www.davesguitar.com. They are great guys to work with, and although I am not associated with them in any way, shape or form, I feel like I own part of the business because of all the money I have spent there over the years.

13. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Tom, I believe it was the 3 X 10 , but don't quote me on that. Did you see all the tube power in that place now. A VT300, 400 plus, DB 750, and Peavy classic 400, I didn't notice if they had any SVT's but imagine the damage if they had a small quake!! Thats a lot of pretty glowing things in one place!

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I saw the Peavey and the 400+, and I considered plugging them in, but I did not have enough time. I missed the 750 and the VT300 (which I surely would have auditioned).

Tom.

15. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hey Tombowlus........
    Have you really found that big a difference between the epi
    T112 and the 112UL? Its been a while since we listened to
    them side by side, but we couldn't hear much difference
    between the two, although we were not in the best listening
    space. I actually like the mids in the UL more, at least for
    upright bass.

16. merrill1

merrill1

Dec 1, 2004
    Hey - check out the option to make a combo - here is what I did...

got a hartke 3500 head, had Marc Serio build me a 2x10 cab with a 2u rack space, a couple screws later and bang - a combo. he makes 1x12 cabs too, and will even do it with an eminence neo if you would like. The cab would weigh under 35 lbs.

check out www.drbasscabs.com

I think you could do this with other cabs too - I'm really happy with mine.
    aaron

17. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I have never had a chance to A/B them directly, but I did hear a T-112UL/T-110UL up at LDS, and I am very familiar with the T-112/T-110UL. The two combos sounded quite similar, though I would based upon my brief encounter I would be inclined to believe the people who are saying that the "NYC" model has a bit more authority and heft in the low end, and the UL model has a bit more presence in the upper mids (which I agree would be a bonus if the T-112UL were used as a standalone cab for upright).

Tom.

18. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Thats a damn good idea, putting a rackspace on your cabinet...

19. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004