Practice space pics anyone?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by BrandonL, Oct 28, 2019.

1. BrandonL

BrandonL

Sep 20, 2018
    Boise, ID
    This may have been done, but I couldn’t find anything on the DB side of things.

How about a pic of your home or usual practice space? I’m just curious to get a glimpse of the spaces where other people do their daily musical practice...unstaged. Mine is a partially commandeered bedroom from my grown child:

83CA6ED8-5052-48FB-85DA-14D45FCCB9EF.jpeg

2. 210superair

210superair

Sep 10, 2019
    Nice space.

I'll nibble. This is my corner of the master br. I actually usually jam with buddies in the garage, but I write and demo record here generally. Small, but all I need. Nice view of the lake. At one point I had the whole basement set up as recording, but just felt I didn't need all the space. 20191028_155853.jpg

AGCurry, Opus_Pocus, Inky13 and 5 others like this.
  3. BrandonL

BrandonL

Sep 20, 2018
    Boise, ID
    It that a u-bass with an endpin on the wall...to make it an upright??

J_Bass and 210superair like this.
  4. 210superair

210superair

Sep 10, 2019
    Lol, yeah, a fretless. My 5yo uses it as an upright for now... And I can still play it.

5. Consistantly inconsistent setup but here is the latest arrangement, which allows for very quick uproght bass recording if I feel like it.

20191028_205124.jpg 20191028_205137.jpg

6. J_Bass

J_Bass Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    My double bass stays in the living room, so I practice there. It's a full house. Me, my wife, two toddlers and one baby. They're used to all the music stuff around the house. The electric basses are on a dedicated division, with the amp and other gear, like cases, cables, etc.. But the double bass, as king of the house instruments family, lives in the main room. I don't like to be isolated in another room when the family is in. I spend too little time with them as it is, because of work. I like to practice alone, sure. But when they're home, I practice in the living room, the wife reads or does something else and the kids play around me, occasionally dabbing the DB or muting the strings with their fingers, ahah! On rare occasions, they even applaud at the end of a tune, I love it when it happens, ahah, it's not often!

My wife likes music, but is a Jazz fan by proxy. She usually comes with me at the concerts. I sometimes say to her that she must know and must have heard more Jazz than many players out there. Same with the kids, there is always a CD playing. I'm engraving musical knowledge in their heads as they play with their toys, ahah!

So, this is how it looks right now, I was just watching a McCoy Tyner Concert on Mezzo (and reading TB):

IMG_20191030_000714.jpg

This is when the bass is resting. You can see the piano, the stool, the stand, the cds:

IMG_20191030_001119.jpg

These are my drawers:

IMG_20191030_001403.jpg

IMG_20191030_001322.jpg

And this is how I practice. Sometimes I like to play along with a youtube video on the TV, and when I am really practicing, I use iReal Pro, a metronome, charts, or Amazing Slow Downer, through a portable speaker or headphones:

IMG_20191030_003325.jpg

You now know how I spend my little free time.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    DrMole, BrandonL, oldNewbie and 4 others like this.
  8. Me too. It's actually the hub of my apartment. When i practice i face the adjacent room where my kid usually hangs (where the PS3 is!). It's wide open and i feel like being in there (vs the small 8x8 room I had at my old place where I often felt confined and somewhat isolated)

210superair and J_Bass like this.
  9. Jay Corwin

Jay Corwin Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    There's more instruments in closets and other rooms. It's actually pretty orderly right now. 20191030_192047.jpg 20191030_192029.jpg 20191030_192004.jpg 20191030_191956.jpg 20191030_191950.jpg 20191030_191953.jpg

10. unbrokenchain

unbrokenchain Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Black Mountain, NC
    @sevenyearsdown love how the acoustic treatment kinda matches the carpet... taste, man!

11. Jay Corwin

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Thanks. I have big plans for the room. It's the only room left in our house that hasn't been hit with a remodel yet, mainly because I can't give it up for weeks. Have no idea where I'll even store stuff.

J_Bass, 210superair and unbrokenchain like this.
  12. oldNewbie

oldNewbie Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Can fit the trio (flute, guitar/mando) in for rehearsals. Also typically includes an old lab mix on the floor, cannily waiting for an idle hand to drop and pet her. IMG_1662.jpg

AGCurry, Opus_Pocus, BrandonL and 7 others like this.
  13. 210superair

210superair

Sep 10, 2019

Hey, I'm a giver. You can keep all your instruments at my place.... Lol.

Nice space there oldnewb, like mine, compact yet functional. Nice Kawai too! Beautiful with that staircase....

14. birgebass

birgebass

Nov 7, 2011
    Arkansas
    While I'm keeping my instruments there, can I crash for free and eat your food?

15. 210superair

210superair

Sep 10, 2019
    Guests always welcome at my joint. I've got an inlaw suite downstairs that rarely gets used with two bedrooms, full kitchen and bath down there, and I cook for a living, so every meal I make is for 20 people, and only 3 live here! Lol...

All yall are welcome. Bonfire jam sessions next to the lake at night and some bottle passing!

unbrokenchain, birgebass and J_Bass like this.
  16. oldNewbie

oldNewbie Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Thanks ! And I almost wish I played enough piano but that’s going to have to wait .
    I was shocked when senior management (tm) agreed to let me have the front hall for music. There was a deal involved, of course, involving husband labor improving the swapped-for room . But it did work out in the end.
    You have a lake view ? Niiiice.

17. unbrokenchain

unbrokenchain Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Black Mountain, NC
    I'll play, my new practice room. The house is similar to a lot of old Kays in some ways.. decent original construction with some fundamental flaws made worse by redneck "repairs" which I'll have to undo. The wormy chestnut is nice but the ceilings have got. to go. It's not all that plumb or level, it's not pretty, there's no view of a lake.. but it's mine and its got-dang close to being paid off :bassist:. I'll have rebuilt the whole thing by the time I'm "done.." But in the meantime I've got a space to create. And coming from an old log cabin, I've got a new appreciation for insulation.. both for the chilly nights and so my neighbors aren't aware of my intonation shortcomings :laugh:
    IMG_0623.JPG IMG_0624.JPG

18. 210superair

210superair

Sep 10, 2019
    Yeah man, love the lake, been there most of my life, other than a few stints abroad. I can see the house I grew up in from my porch on the peninsula, my folks are still there (the gray one with two dormers above my feet here).

Technically I guess I practice here as much as anywhere else. Lots of acoustic jams happen here in the summer time too, and the neighbors wander to my yard with coolers and chairs, and just sit and listen to us. Fun stuff lake life.....I'm a very lucky fella.
    20190806_173328.jpg

19. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    My room for practice also is my home office. The room also is an A/V production studio. I built sound treatments for the ceiling and walls and use portable corner bass traps when tracking. Acoustic sound quality is great!

Studio-1-small.JPG

Studio-2-small.JPG Studio-3-small.JPG Studio-4-small.JPG

AGCurry, DrMole, oldNewbie and 4 others like this.
  20. Jay Corwin

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    You win.

/end thread.

210superair, unbrokenchain and J_Bass like this.