1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Practice through the headphones.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by dude87, Feb 12, 2019.

1. dude87

dude87

Feb 12, 2019
    Hello everyone.

I just bought audio technica m50x. I have fender rumble 15 v3 amp. When Im playing through the headphones it sounds much worse than on amp. I hear a hum, tones seems to be distorted. When I set volume on low its better.
    Is it a matter of setup ?
    Is it a good idea to buy external sound card and plug in the bass to the laptop ?
    Or maybe headphones amplifier ?
    What could help to achieve better sound while playing with the headphones ?

Help guys, any suggestions ?

2. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Portland
    I’m not a tech guy but it sounds like you are overloading your headset, hence the distortion and amelioration with lower volume.

Secondly, the approach. You want to play along with CD’s or other inputs then there are devices like the Vox AP2-BS that allow you to blend in bass and aux input. Noisy, bass sounds like poopiee but it works.

Thirdly, I find practicing with a low volume speaker, like iPad with an unplugged bass in a quiet room works for me. I can literally feel the bass tones thump along with the recording.

Lastly, a decade ago I practiced with headphones at night before bedtime. My ears would ring for hours. I stopped using headphones

3. bfields

bfields

Apr 9, 2015
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Are your headphones plugged in to the headphone jack on the amp? I'd expect that to sound about the same as the sound out of the amp's speaker, if the amp is working as it should.

4. bfields

bfields

Apr 9, 2015
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I believe his amp has an aux in: Rumble™ 15 | Bass Amplifiers

So he shouldn't need to buy anything more.

5. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    With decent headphones and a decent amp , it will not distort if working properly.
    Unless you are cranking volume/EQ to 10, perhaps.
    My guess is something is wrong, the possibilities are:
    1. headphone out of the amp is bad
    2. the detachable cable between amp and heaphones is bad or poorly connected
    3. the headphones are bad
    Test each component one at a time:
    1. Use the 1/8" to 1/4" adapter with some cheap earbuds, plugged into the amp.
    2. Double check the connection to the headphones: are both ends plugged in all the way?
    3. Do the headphones distort plugged into a phone / ipod /pc ?

6. verstft

verstft

May 16, 2016
    Something is wrong here. You have good headphones and a great practice amp.
    Try different cans if you can or a different bass if that's possible.

I use the same cans on my Ampeg with no issues. The sound will definitely be a little different coming out of the headphone since the frequency range of your headphones is much greater than a bass cab speaker. It's a lot less forgiving!

7. Your rig should work. Are you right in front of the amp. That will give problems. Try moving to one side or the other.

8. Dan Jacobsen

Dan Jacobsen

Feb 20, 2019
    Stupid spinoff question. How can I setup so I could, for example, listen to someone's instructional video while also listening to my bass playing on headphones? I think I may have seen a post where maybe we can send the headphone out from the amp to the mic input on a PC? Would that work? I am in an apartment and don't want to alienate my fellow apartment-dwellers with my amp... Newbie here! TIA

9. bfields

bfields

Apr 9, 2015
    Ann Arbor, MI
    That should work.

Alternatively, have you checked whether your amp has an aux in? Lots do. Then you plug the output from your laptop/phone/music player into that, and your headphones into your amp's headphone jack.

mambo4 likes this.
  10. NinjaSasquatch5

NinjaSasquatch5

Oct 7, 2019
    I have a fender rumble 100 v3 and it does the exact same thing.

11. paulcorboy

paulcorboy

Jan 8, 2016
    You need to buy one of these VOX mini amps that plug into your bass and the headphones plug into the VOX. They work a treat - particularly with "open" headphones such as Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro, designed

specifically for Bass work.[​IMG]

upload_2019-10-8_19-37-10.

12. LeeNunn

LeeNunn Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Charlottesville, VA
    I practice almost exclusively through headphones because it's usually very early in the morning, and I've been doing so for more than 15 years. I use the smallest Behringer mixer, which allows me to hear any combination of my bass, PC, keyboard, drum machine, and tablet. The headphones are Sennheiser HD 280 Pro. I use a SansAmp DI to connect my bass. On the PC I run Audacity to create MP3 files (when I don't already own an MP3), Transcribe! to loop and slow down, and Sibelius First for notating. I use the keyboard to help figure out chords. The drum machine is an old Alesis SR 16. I use the tablet to run iReal Pro. I use a stool that allows me to sort of sit with my bass in the same position it's in when I'm standing. I find the set-up entirely satisfactory, and I spend significant time there.

13. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    I also use the Vox headphone amp for bass. Does the trick.