1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Practice Time/Show time: Just the essentials or the whole board?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Vic Winters, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    When you practice or jam, do you plug in all your effects, or just the bare minimum?

When I jam with my guitarist and drummer, all the guitarist brings is his guitar and his Marshall combo. He's not a fan of practicing with effects, but when we played out, he used a delay, chorus/flanger and my tremolo. I on the other hand, plug everything into everything during practice time. But when we played out, I only brought the bare essentials (DOD Bass 30 for tuning and muting, and a Morley ABY).

What category do you all fit into?

2. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    All my effects all the time.

I know, it's rough. ;-D

3. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    I always figured that half the purpose of practice or rehearsal was to identify potential problems in time to eliminate em, and so it made sense to make practice as much like a gig as possible.... so yeah, pedals too.

4. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    This is why God invented pedalboards...

when you practice, you need to practice EVERYTHING, especially if you are planning using multiple effects in one song.

If I can't practice with my pedal board before a service, I don't use effects int hat service... it's just easier.

I use my entire Board, even if I only use a few effects at a certain time.

5. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Vic, is your band name a play on vas deferens?

6. opivy3056

opivy3056 stardust in a light beam

Oct 14, 2004
    San Diego
    I dont use my effects when practicing by myself or just our guitarist, but I use my board whenever Im playing with the entire band, practice or show.

7. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    Yes it is. That's what happens when you combine a guitarist who studies anatomy and bio a bassist who loves a play on words/hidden meanings and a drummer who enjoys a comical name. Plus its fun to tell people to share "The VD" with their friends. But that's as far as it goes. No penile refrences in any of the songs or anything.

8. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Well, I like it. I wouldn't put it past myself to do something like that. ;-D

9. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    pedalboard comes with me to practice and to gigs. i feel like playing a song without all the effects you are going use just doesn't sound the same.

10. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i bring the whole board, either way. effects never sound the same in a quiet environment as they do in a loud one. practices and shows are the best testing ground!

11. Andy V.

Andy V.

Nov 5, 2006
    Dumbo, NY
    +1

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If you're gonna gig with it, practice with it. The last thing you want to do on a gig is wonder why everything sounds different. Get used to playing the way it's going to be live.

13. Nils

Nils

Oct 9, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    True. I always bring the whole effects board to practice, and then home to practice with it here. It's a bit tough, though since I have about a one and a half hour bus/train/walk trip to and from rehearsals. Or actually that's, walk/train/bus on the way back. ;)

I've never even considered not practicing with effects since I got my first one. It just seems stupid, since practice is the "only" place to test stuff out where it doesn't matter too much if it sounds like crap.

14. I don't use effects anymore but when I practice I take what I'm gonna use with me so I know what sound to get. When I practice at home I leave my amp flat and then tweak in a band setting because solo and in the mix are very different requirements.

15. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Home practice is for experimenting, band practice is for making sure everything works, gigging is when you put the practice to use. If you use pedals on the gig, use them in practice. I wouldn't play a bass or amp for the first time at a gig, so I wouldn't do it with pedals either.