practice time

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by glocke1, May 23, 2002.

1. glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    Ohio much time do people devote to practicing..I work a 40 hour week, on the average have band rehearsel 2-3 nights a week (not counting gigs whihc are 3-4 times a month), plus I play in three different bands.

I'm lucky if I can out an hour a day into running through arpeggios, working on my reading, and doing other stuff I want to do with bass...

If I could, I'd like to put in 3-4 hours a day of focused practice..
  2. I usually do about 1-2 hours everyday, but sometimes my university schedule (and occaisionally my social life) doesn't permit that.
  3. I find it's useful to build your practice time around some kind of goal, such as memorize this or work on that for 20 minutes. This also gives you some idea about how much time per day/week you should set aside. Also keep in mind what you have going on in the near future in terms of gigs, etc. There was some famous golf teacher who said "Play your strengths, practice your weaknesses."
  4. ScJaxx

ScJaxx Guest

Mar 15, 2002
    1 1/2 - 2 hours everyday.
    i normally practice right after school for an hour, then after dinner for an hour. then i go and chill with my friends after that. but thats besides the point

the first hour is devoted to things like scales/modes/etc...
    the second hour is getting stuff down like the tabs from the band i play in, or just tabs i want to learn from other bands. i consider it my JAM time.

also, on days where i rehearse, our practice sessions are 2-3 hours.

all in all, i say i get between 14 - 18 hours a week.
  5. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    I think Jaxx has the right idea about it. Most musicians that I've talked to agree that to continue getting better you should practice atleast an hour a day. Of course, what you practice is in my opinion more important than how long you practice and not everyone improves at the same rate. I usually work around a goal and when I'm feeling particularly lazy I'll set an amount of time for myself to practice.
  6. ScJaxx

ScJaxx Guest

Mar 15, 2002
    thanks jaybo
    with this practice regimen, i have improved greatly. the music teachers at my school say i am advancing faster than most people can. im only into my 7th month of playing though, so im not sure how good i can really be. but i try as much as i can.
  7. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Hi ScJaxx, that's a wonderful feeling to be told how fast you are advancing, isn't it? Congrats on that. As for how good you can be, you can't really know, can you? Just keep in mind that you can be something great. Maybe you have some goals. Keep to them and follow your path. And keep practicing.

As for glocke1's question about practicing, I honestly don't feel I have as good a practice regime as I should. My mind's been wandering. :eek: LOL. I've been sticking to practicing my 16th-note rhythms b/c of the trouble I've been having with them. I usually start my day with going over my major scales and relative minors and whatever I've been learning in my lesson. I also have my own 'creative writing time', working on my own music. I'd say maybe I practice about 2 hours or so a day. It used to be a lot more---as in 5-10 hours/day! :eek:, but a lot of personal things have been happening in my life and sometimes I have found it hard to pick up the bass. Oh well. Maybe I've just gotten lazy. :D

8. ScJaxx

ScJaxx Guest

Mar 15, 2002
    thanks stephanie. Yea it is a good feeling:) i have a few goals, and most are high enough to keep my going for a LONG, LONG time, but at the same time, they dont frustrate, or discourage me <---- i think that is a BIG thing people forget when they set goals.

and 5 - 10 hours is alot:) however, the first week i got my bass, i played a total of 80 hours:) i broke in my amp in 1 week:cool:
  9. MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    I try an squeeze in an hour a day. Sometimes I only manage half an hour. I think it's important to play a little every day, even if it's only 15 mins.
  10. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i play my bass everyday. no matter what.
    i broke my e string on my bass.
    so i toke all the strings off.
    i orderd somestrings monday. still aren't here saturday!
    so i put the strings back on. the E string is really the A string and so on down. i moved them up notch. and tuned them E,A,D
    since i haven't played in a couple of days.
    i have noticed how much i have improved!
    i am going to start practising my scales.

i was in my local music store trying out a couple of basses.
    i was playing for 45 min. straight. the owner and a guy were just watching me the whole time.
    after i was down teh guy standing there asked how long i have been playing. i told him 6-7 months.(in jan.) you have only been playing that long!
    i am a teacher and i know people that have been playing for six years that can't play that well!
    he told me that i had good timing and so on!
    i felt so good for the next couple days!

i usaully play 4-5 hours a day.