Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Practice/Very Small gig amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mark04, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Mark04

Mark04

Aug 17, 2004
    Hey,

I'm a newbie on this forum but I've tried a search and I can't find what I'm looking for, so sorry if this comes up all the time. Basically I've been playing bass for over a year now using a guitar amp and as I'm sure you know, you don't really get a rich, meaty bass sound from a guitar amp. Hence I'm going to get saving for a proper bass amp. It'll mainly be for home practice, and at most I'll have to compete with a guitar or two for volume levels. Chances are that if I'm playing with drums I'll be at a practice studios and using their stack.

I still play my guitar, so I have a vauge idea of what I want in an amp, and it's pretty simple. I don't like having effects in an amp, I prefer to use pedals. I'm also not a fan of amp modelling (Line 6 and what have you). I would like an EQ with quite a few bands on it to get the tone right. It would also have to be able to handle some distortion effects and so on without straining.

I've had a look on some websites and found a Laney HC65 and a Crate BX50 DLX, both for £169 Sterling (I think this works out at about $310 US). Would any of these be suitable? For all I know, either of them could fall to pieces before I get it home, so I'm pretty much in the dark apart from what the manufacturers say about them?

Cheers for any help,

Mark

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    For home practice either amp will be more than loud enough and should hold up fine. After all your gear doesn't get abused much at home (well, mine doesn't anyway).