1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Practice Volume

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BellBottomBlues, Jul 31, 2007.

1. BellBottomBlues

BellBottomBlues

Feb 21, 2007
    New York
    Endorser:Fender User:Rotosound, LaBella, Ashdown, Lindy Fralin
    What volume do you folks normally practice at?

I didn't think I practice that loud but my neighbor across the street started making requests for me to play. My neighbor to my left likes to offer tips on my playing, and my neighbor 2 houses over on the right hears me play all the time.

Mind you, these are houses, not apartments. I wonder how loud I'm playing. They haven't complained, unless I'm slow to pickup on it.

Anyone else have a similar situation? Or ever did?

I think I need a smaller amp :help:

2. stillborn86

stillborn86 Guest

Mar 19, 2007
    I usually practice on my own, in my room, without an amp. In the quiet, it forces you to listen to and focus on your instrument.

When I play with a group, it seems like we all kind of agree without dscussion on what volume to play at without even talking about it.

3. check the know with volume written above it. usually they spin almost in full circles, turn the know until the little white line points more toward the lower numbers.

4. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    If they start requesting songs without bass lines in them, then you know you need help! LOL

And if they can hear ya loud and clear maybe it's time to invest in some headphones or turn it down just a tad. And what rig are you practicing on btw?

EDIT: OR - maybe you need a bigger rig? :D

5. BellBottomBlues

BellBottomBlues

Feb 21, 2007
    New York
    There isn't any numbers on my practice amp, just an input and and an output. But its also a full stack...

6. BellBottomBlues

BellBottomBlues

Feb 21, 2007
    New York
    I practice through an Ashdown ABM 500 over an 8x10

7. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    We practice on the guitar players back porch. The volume is very low, and the drummer uses a practice pad. I know it's unusual, but we never have problems doing a song live for the first time.

8. You have to remember that bass carries much further than you might think. That's why you can hear a car with a huge subwoofer setup coming from a mile away. You might be playing a a fairly resonable volume, but if you have a bottom heavy tone, your neighbors will be able to hear you.

I also think that a lot of people don't realize how loud they are playing. I was noodling around on electric guitar a few years ago, and my dad said he could hear me from the end of the driveway. Keep in mind that we had a really long (200 yards) driveway at the time.

9. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    That's one helluva practice rig! :bassist:

10. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I use a Peavey 4 channel mixer with headphones.
    New they can be had for 99. Used probably cheaper.

Perfect.

11. BellBottomBlues

BellBottomBlues

Feb 21, 2007
    New York

I have a really deep bassy tone with the low frequencies boosted way up and no treble at all. When I played a jazz bass through it my friend Andrew claimed to hear it around the corner.

12. BellBottomBlues

BellBottomBlues

Feb 21, 2007
    New York
    I think I might get the 59 Fender Bassman reissue

13. pmaraziti

pmaraziti Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2006
    Singapore
    I live in an apartment... first time I practiced slap, the neighbour upstairs comes down.. her name is Jeannette... sweet... she came down more often after that... :)

14. BellBottomBlues

BellBottomBlues

Feb 21, 2007
    New York
    Maybe I should move into an apt instead?

15. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    Sorry, that's not a practice rig...

Bass can penetrate almost anything. Dirt, bricks, cement, rock, steel, plaster, you name it.
    And it can literally travel for miles.

I was suprised when my neighbors told me they can here me at 2:00 in the morning.
    I live in a big house in the suburbs on an acre lot with a big basement.
    I'm playing either 2x12s or 1x15.

16. hey

hey

Jul 8, 2006
    Wisconsin
    My neighbor's kids who are like 4 years old heard my band practicing once. They always request to play something for them. It's kinda funny.

17. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    My band just bought an electronic drum set for this reason. We just moved into a duplex and there is no way we could get away with practicing at full volume. The drum set should be here Friday, and we plan to use Line6/Sansamp gear & headphones for practicing.

- Dave

18. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Moved to misc.

19. My neighbors dont complain, so I guess my practice volume is fine.
    I practice all hours of the day and sometimes 3-4:00am in the morning.

20. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    My neighbors have not complained yet at least, but I stick to very low volumes. Normal speech is louder. ;) I use to use as little bass frequencies as possible, and lots of mids instead. If I want to play louder, I use headphones.

Your rig is definitely not suitable for practicing. Buy a small 1x10" speaker with a high impedance rating or a small practice amp (about 10-20W), and practice with that instead if you don't want to disturb your neighbors. Remember bass frequencies carries very far.