1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Practice What The Person Above Mentions - Then Add Your Own

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by LakeEffect, Sep 28, 2013.

1. LakeEffect

LakeEffect

Feb 21, 2013
    Denver
    We'll see how long this lasts... To avoid the ever-so often "rut" of a practice schedule that myself and others have found themselves in every once and a while, lets try this out.

After clicking on this thread, go to the last post and practice that which the person above you mentioned, then add your own for the next person to practice, who will add their own... so on.

It can be anything from a technique, a bit of theory, a certain lick... no rules besides it being specific enough for the person to ascertain (don't just say 'technique', or 'theory' - try to say the specific technique, or the subset of theory). My hope is that this will make us all more versatile players and push us outside our comfort zones.

I'll start: I'm working on being able to transcribe songs I have not yet heard much more quickly by focusing on songs I haven't heard many times, rather than the ones I already can hum in my head. Who's next?

2. Boris62

Boris62

Nov 7, 2012
    I know I need to do more transcription so I'll consider this my kick in the behind. I'll report back later this week what I transcribed and how it went.

Here's what I've been practising so much that it's now my 15 min warmup. Major 7, Dominant 7,minor 7, minor 7 flat five, and diminished arpeggios in root position, first inversion, and second inversion over two octaves in all 12 keys around the circle of fourths or fifths. Playing eighth notes at 200bpm this takes about fifteen minutes. Learning it all in the first place will take longer.