Practice with a Precision Neck = better?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Kickin'Fruit, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

After playing on my upright, the neck of my electric basses feel like guitars. Same thing when I play my P and then my J after. I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing.

2. I really don't know anything about what Jaco had. I assumed he had more than one bass.

3. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    on occasion he didnt have a bass to his name let alone a few basses to choose from.

4. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    I don't know or care if the Jaco story is true...but one thing is true play a bass with a wide thick neck ..like a 5 or 6 string then go pick up a thin neck 4 like a jazz and see how much faster you play and how easy it feels ...this i know is true:)

5. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Right, but I still maintain that good "feel" and time take more than having a neck that feels like a pencil, and if your muscles are adjusted to one set up and you switch to another, it'll hold you back, not help. Examples: Do you think you might rush on an "easier" neck? Play too heavily (excess fret noise, etc.)?
    That's all I'll say...:cool:

6. True for some, I guess, which is cool. But I never found it to be true when I used to switch between a 6 and a 4. Quite the opposite: I didn't find that it helped me at all, I found that it made me disoriented on both instruments.

7. I think some of you might be throwing in variables of which I'm either not experienced with or really don't think apply to what the premise of the arguement is.

I am going from a 4 string to a 4 string. They are both Fender or Fender style instruments (meaning similar fret board radius etc etc) and I'm playing the same songs.

It is harder for me to play fast songs on the P neck that involve a lot of finger movement. When I go back to my better quality Jazz what was nearly impossible for me to get a good note sound out of on my P I could do much easier with the J. And it sounded a whole lot better. Mental OR Physical, I noticed that the harshness of the sound wasn't there such as fretbuzz or clicking that I had before I started practicing with a P bass.

What I'm trying to determine is if the better playing is only a result of more practicing or if it's the result of an easier feel from switching from the P to the J. OR both.

I pretty much reiterated the thread subject but I think it was needed.

8. I dunno, I'd guess it's probably (a) as you suggest, more practicing, in and of itself, (b) a better setup on your J (which is variable, as opposed to the basic dimensions of a bass, which aren't), or perhaps (c) some aspect of your technique that might make a P harder to play than it should be (e.g., do you wrap your left hand thumb around the neck when you play, or do you put it behind the neck?).

9. I think I have proper technique. I put my thumb pointing at the sky and below or on the truss rod and fingers perpendicular to the fretboard. As well as one finger per fret.

10. Then it sounds like (a) or (b) to me.

11. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu

you know this talk of the p v the jazz neck for making it harder to increase your chops is not good news for p bass necks. Some people find the p neck easier than the jazz neck so its not clear cut.

but take a low spec clunky cheap bass with dead strings and a bad setup and once you make that sing then a good bass will be a walk in the park.

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I practice on a P, I play on a P.

I move to a jazz neck and cramp up quickly.

13. Thanks, that's what I was looking for. A reaffirmation that my crappy squier is actually helping my technique by being crappy.

14. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    yeah... i moved from a squire p (10 years) to a stingray and overall i think the squire coaxed more out of me to make it sound good... good pratice i think.

15. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    My two cents:

I don't think practicing on a P allows you to play any better on a J. People who prefer the feel of a P neck will likely play better on a P than a J.

I normally play a P but switched to a Warmoth J recently because my P-nut snapped. The Warmoth neck is a narrower neck and feels much more "slick". Additionally, the J bass is set-up with lower action.

Yet my wrist / hand received a tougher workout than usual! I found myself stumbling just a bit because the neck felt different.

Oh, and I think playing a good bass (or at least one set-up well) will be better for your technique than playing a crappy bass.

16. I´m sure practising on a P-bass wil improve your skills on J-bass and vica versa:)

What I have experienced, though, is that playing Double Bass for a year has made tapping on electric a joy...

17. charic

charic

Apr 17, 2006
    Cambridge
    Im gonna be awkward now :D just to go totally opposite of the story.

I learnt on my peavey millenium bxp (VERY thin neck) and when i tried out a fender P.... FOUND IT EASIER and much more natural. I could actually play songs i couldnt on the peavey. Hence why the fender is ON THE WAY :bassist:

18. I think I'm going to rescind my original thoughts about the P-Bass neck making it easier to play on the jazz. I think there were factors in there that made me think it was easier on the Jazz. These factors being that my Squier P Bass has pretty high action compared to my jazz and while the bigger neck might be good for hand strengthening it really didn't help in the transition to the Jazz be cause I did notice I was over aiming for the strings on the frets and sometimes pushing my E up over the top of my fretboard. Also my Squier has rough roundwounds and my Jazz has Elixer Nanowebs which are much slicker. I'm going to go with the idea that you should practice on what you are going to perform with.

19. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    I find that if i paly any other bass btu my normal bass it's harder to play, whether the neck be biggest smaller etc. Give it a try, if it works for you then awesome, if it doesn't then at least you got yourself a sweet p bass.

20. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Shed bass is my '64 P-bass(redone).
    "TV bass" is a Jazz with medium high action with stiff flats.
    Gigging bass is a Jazz-style.

...just got into the habit of wanting to play my 'old' P-bass in the shed.
    Keep the 'log' Jazz in the TV room for convenience.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 18, 2021