1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

practice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wishforbass, Dec 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    I practiced with 5 string Yamaha bb 415.tomorrow I should test for entering a band .
    With broken nut ,I have no chance.
    Angles idea guys ?

GlassToMouth likes this.
  2. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Just play it like it is a 4 string. And if it comes up as a question discuss the problem and your plan to fix it with the band,

Also hopefully this serves as an example to all those guys who "have been playing for decades and never needed a backup bass" (and have the temerity to give such advice to the entire bass playing world).

While your playing should not be judged by a technical issue, the band may judge based on your ability to be prepared and work through a challenging circumstance.

3. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    There is the super glue and baking soda trick but i think it probably won't be enough in this case , are you able to glue it?

ThuzzleFump and JIO like this.
  4. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    the problem is that I d
    yea but is glue accept the pressure of b string
    nut replacement is near impossible .or too much cost that I can't afford .im kind of poor and well this is leading me to stage that maybe I put playing aside .
    I can't buy from amazon because no one sell things to my country (Iran ) ,that lead me I can't even find a nut .
    hope glue work

Helix likes this.
  5. Explain the situation (it just happened, right?), remove the B string, play it as a 4 string. Then get it fixed asap.

edencab and wishforbass like this.
  6. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    it's so hard to find a nut for it and fix it .
    but I think I cab play it as four string bass .

7. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    Here is a link to the super glue and baking soda trick,i don't know if this will work in your case but from what you say it sounds like it will be worth a try The baking soda and super glue guitar nut repair trick
    The gist of it is that you fill the broken part of the nut with baking soda ,you then put a drop of super glue on the baking soda, it goes solid like plastic, you then file the groove for the string

DrummerwStrings and wishforbass like this.
  8. Plake

Plake Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2010
    30C3EDAF-D6BC-4F43-98A1-1E1563B3A77B-8203-0000063EE84345AC_tmp.
    Practice!?!?

9. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    it happened when I was practicing

10. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Nuts are only a few bucks on line.

DrayMiles and ShadowImage like this.
  11. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    finding them in Iran is problem.
    amazon or ebay don't sell anything to my country.finding local ones are near impossible ot super expensive around 100$ when I bought my bass 300$

ThuzzleFump likes this.
  12. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Wow, that's some ugly reality right there.
    There's nothing from ebay UK, or Thomann?

DrayMiles likes this.
  13. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Make one tonight.

FronTowardEnemy and Spidey2112 like this.
  14. jaybones

jaybones Banned

Mar 4, 2015
    Kelleys Island, Ohio
    none
    @wishforbass I'm surprised you can even get on the WWW from there. Given what I (think I) know about that country, after the revolution weren't all things Western seriously looked down on?

Read an article on a car magazine about some Iranians who own classic American cars, and have gone to great extent to keep them running. Much like Cuba.

15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Improvise. Find someone who is good with tools near you. Find a piece of aluminum or even galvanized steel. Cut it with whatever (hack saw). File it with a metal file to shape. Glue it or let string tension hold it in place until you can do better. It doesn't have to be perfect. Just make sure the edges are smooth enough.

Then you can ask the guys in that band for help. I bet there aren't hundreds of bass players in Iran so you will probably be fine.

LowNloud1 likes this.
  16. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Find these guys... I'm thinking fabricating a nut is something they would do on a coffee break...

17. Ant Illington

Ant Illington I'm Anthony but I'm only illin' Banned

Can we mail one to you from the United States of Greatness? I will be glad to mail you one if possible for you to receive mail, I bet a bunch of us would. Not in time for audition but the band should understand.

18. pnchad

pnchad

Nov 3, 2005
    This - you can make one out of lots of materials - bone, plastic, even a hard wood will work. Get a few simple tools - a little scroll saw, a couple small files and sand paper.

19. thewildest

thewildest

May 25, 2011
    Montreal
    I would do one of these two things:
    • Remove the nut (if it is easy to remove, I will use a hair dryer to smooth the glue and slowly unattach it with a very small screwdriver from the bottom) and try fabricating one as suggested above. Just pick a piece of metal/super strong wood/bone/acrylic and see if you can build yourself anothet one
    • I would also cut a new fit for your 5th string in the existing nut. This will not make it possible for you to play a C or D, but if you are in chord playing I understand that you need that 5th string and can't just go with 4.
    I would not rely on super glue, as if it breaks during an audition it will be about your bass instead of your playing.

Another idea could be to ask a friend to lend you his/her bass for your test. Good luck!!

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  20. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Yeah. Not much we can do overnight, but can someone help this guy out? Perhaps someone in Europe that is Closer. I really don't know how the mail would work from the states given our relationship but to be sidelined by something like this is just wrong.

Brass nuts are still a pretty popular thing, maybe you can find a piece of brass and fab one.

DrummerwStrings likes this.