1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

practice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wishforbass, Dec 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Helix

Helix California U.S.A.

May 29, 2015
    In a pinch, I'd Zip Tie them all together behind the nut......the B won't stay in tune, but at least it would be on the freatboard

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  2. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Yes, that's a rough piece of luck. I would try to stay off the B string as much as possible and zip tie the thing in place for the audition. Then get the bass to a luthier for repair.

Helix likes this.
  3. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I like the zip tie idea

Helix likes this.
  4. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    This is exactly why I always have a 1/4" thick stick of Corian lying around.

5. If you need the b string can you buy a set of strings. Leave the bad b over the broken nut, change the remaining eadg to bead and make a few small tweaks to get the string height/action/intonation on point. If you don't rely on a b string then just do as the others have said and play it like a 4 string for the audition.

6. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    If none of the songs for the band need to use the B string, don't even bring it up and they might not notice.

If a song does use the B string. Act like the breaking happens the first time you pluck the string. It's a little white lie, won't hurt anyone. You're planning on getting it fixed anyway.

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  7. AztecViking

AztecViking Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2010
    EndlessSummerVille, CA
    I took the title to be a request for us all to practice more. :laugh:

The suggestions to play the bass as a 4 string and only say anything about it unless someone asks are good ones. :thumbsup:

PS. I really like Agah Bahari's first solo release. Considering who he hired to play on it it's truly like a version Planet X! Some great fretless work on that one by Ric Fierabracci.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  8. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    No international shop available.other shop don't sell anything to us .we don't have visa cards or PayPal.
    Because of that I just can buy from inside of Iran.

9. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    Well buying story is ban from outside not inside.amazon itself won't sell to us ,for car story is different .

Gully Foyle likes this.
  10. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    Mail take long time and paying tax of mail for getting it inside is so high .
    For Dunlop ten band eq I payed 450$.
    And it take 4.5 months.
    If I can fix it inside is better idea because the mail story in Iran is so hard and strict.
    But thanks so much for your offer

11. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    I known a person make brass nuts but will they work good and sound good

FantasticFour likes this.
  12. ShadowImage

ShadowImage Guest

Jan 12, 2016
    Yes, lots of guitars and basses have brass nuts. Brass, bone, aluminum, plastics, all can sound good as long as the nut is cut well.

13. German Warwicks only use brass nuts, so they will work and sound great.

Also, any other hard material will work nicely.

wishforbass likes this.
  14. Not too long ago, brass nuts were the IT thing here on TB. If, it is made well/correctly, it will rock your socks. Good luck getting things going!

15. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

Super glue like a previous poster said. If happened at practice....no glue. Ty-Wrap to other string temporarily. Replace with a brass nut later and never worry again.

16. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

My workshop is usually about 30's era cars.

Could make you one from brass.

Do you have any way of measuring accurately the height withdrawal and depth of the nut?

Can work with just about anything for measurements. Strings, do you know, have the sizes from the package.

Pretty sure could get it close but you would need a file, most likely on the back side to get the height correct.

Any chance of taking the nut off and doing a close tracing with a fine pencil?

17. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Nice offer, Ant... We need more of that...

18. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Spectors come with brass nuts as well.

Matthew_84 likes this.
  19. Artobass

Artobass

Jan 21, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    Hopefully, you can find someone within your country to make one for you. It shouldn't take very long. If not, play as a 4 string. I feel for you, not having access to better supply within your country, as well as slow or no international supply. Make it the best you can, good band mates will understand your situation. Best of luck to you! Remember, the low end has no borders, we're all with you.

Matthew_84 and EdO. like this.
  20. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    I did the test .
    well I told them the story d they offer a 5 string Warwick bass that they had there to play with it .
    I tested with the bass and well it was a beast .i think I'm in ,although testing will continue till tomorrow .

for fixing nut.after test gave me a number .it was small fixing store .
    I will call them,hope they can make a new one for me .
    thanks to all for help .