1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

practice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wishforbass, Dec 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Artobass

Artobass

Jan 21, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    Great news! Let us know, when you get the gig. Good luck!

Matthew_84 likes this.
  2. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    Play the remaining four strings.

3. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    That's great to hear. I am glad it worked out for you and I hope you get the gig! Also very happy to hear they were able to help you out with a repair shop!

Best Wishes going forward to you!

4. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    ok the repair shop offer that they can use a classic guitar nut .
    they will make it small that much that fit my bass .
    what do you think guys ?!

hrodbert696 likes this.
  5. I may be wrong, but it looks from the pic, that there probably wasn't much nut to the left of the string to start with.

6. A Classical guitar has a pretty wide nut, so I think that would work well to be honest, as long as they have blanks. If they are all pre-slotted, it could be filled in and re-shaped. Only thing is the more work they put into it the more its gonna cost in the long run. Did you ask a cost?

Matthew_84 likes this.
  7. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    it cost around 60$
    but I don't have other choice .when I can buy from Amazon and even if I can mail price in Iran is painful .
    for sending a pedal mxr 10 band eq they got just 50$ for mail price .

8. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    It would work - I've done it. At least until able to replace it.

9. Well I hear you on the limited choices, but the brass nut could be roughly the same and USUALLY (under normal circumstances) you don't have to worry about breakage there. Not saying don't go with the crafted one, but always check into all options =D

10. beat me to it but here's this. Enjoy.

TheMinutemen likes this.
  11. ThuzzleFump

ThuzzleFump All your bass...

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    This is the second thread I've seen in about twelve hours where people are really concerned about projecting an image. I guess it matters a little, but if a guy showed up to an audition and played well, I'd sure let him slide if he told me the nut just broke and he is going to get it fixed right away. And I think that entering into any relationship with that kind of stress and thinking about lying to cover it up is just pointless. Be you and don't worry about the other stuff so much.

12. Hahaha

Hahaha

Sep 26, 2003
    Olympia, WA USA
    I had that happen on a gig once when I was first starting out. I slipped a piece of cardboard from a matchbook under the string (E string). It worked fine for the rest of the night. There are some better suggestions here, but if there is no other option, what I did worked well enough. This was forty-three years ago when nobody owned a spare instrument to take to the gig.

1954bassman likes this.
  13. EarnestTBass

EarnestTBass

Feb 3, 2015
    A guitarist in nearby city made a new nut from an old toothbrush. I understand it worked for many years. Only the most observant would ask what luthier had installed the custom baby blue colored nut.

I will contribute a few bucks to sending the man what he needs. I like the idea of bass players sans frontiers.

In the first picture it looks like there is a considerable angle for the B string to navigate between the nut and the tuning peg. Could the tuning peg have been better placed? Would a string tree help prevent future problems?

wishforbass likes this.
  14. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    I don't know , I'm not a pro .
    I don't have any experience with technical things .

15. Gully Foyle

Gully Foyle Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Near Boston
    If you have a bolt and a file, you are good to go, nut material is not the end all of anything, slots cut right much more important. Hard bit of wood wil work too

Necessity and invention...

Some unfortunate stuff in this thread

Good luck

Do you know of Mavara? Only Iranian band im familiar with

16. I'll bet that improved his Crest factor.

17. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    yes I know them .not fan of them but they have good songs .

prefer Mohammad nik .he is great bassist and a lot of bassist become bassist in Iran after his performance in tehran fest .

18. Bikeguy57

Bikeguy57 Supporting Member

This thread is what forums should be. :thumbsup:

Matthew_84 and Helix like this.
  19. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    I like the tone in this clip, the bass is not overly loud but you can hear it clearly, it cuts through well

rufus.K and wishforbass like this.
  20. Pocket4

Pocket4 Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2013
    New Hampshire
    In my teens, before I knew the function of the nut, the broken off bit to the side of the E string was fixed with pencil end resting on the headstock..