Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bassman0213, Aug 29, 2002.

1. bassman0213

Jul 21, 2002
    i am a new bass student(new student, not new bassist) and have been alarmed to an expectation of four hours of practice a day after the 7am-3pm hours i put in at school including commute. i am wondering if anyone has any hints or tips(no cheats or shortcuts) on how to practice more effectively, so i can have a chance at getting a job to pay the bills and such.
  2. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    What I've found works for me is to have 2-3 sessions of 45 minutes -> 1hr, rather than hammer away for 2-3 hours in a single session. For me, it is the brain<-> hands connection that needs work, so having shorter sessions lets me practice more efficiently (considering it is a mental exercise, and I think it is generally accepted that most people have a hard time concentrating on one thing for more than 30->45 minutes at a time).

Also - possibly something to try - get up earlier! I usually get up around 5:30am and fit in one practice session before even having to worry about getting ready for work. This also has the benefit that if you are really tired when you come home, you can bail on practice without too much guilt as you've already got some under your belt. ;)

It might be hard to adjust your sleep patterns, but it is a *great* boost mentally having already accomplished something valuable and meaningful when you start each day 'for real' and get into the daily grind.

3. Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification

I`ve been working around 10-12 hours a day, but I still manage to play two or thee hours a day. I just don`t sleep that much:)

I`ve found it necessary to warm up before starting to play anything serious. I do some scales, chromatic stuff etc. usually with a metronome. Also, when I try to learn something more complicated (for me, of course), I ALWAYS play it over and over again at very small tempo (around 40-70 bmp) with a metronome. Helps a lot. Also software like guitar pro is quite usefull, yet not necessary.
    Also I record myself every week. My playing time is usually early in the morning, and later, around 8-11 pm.
  4. what i was told and it seems to work for me

is when ya cant practice flick or roll your fingers back and forth on a table one after the other to build up speed and finger muscels like you see nutters tapping there hands or moving fingers
    there all bass players and the twitch they have in there neck is them looking for the note the just missed

but flicking the fingers work loads for me very anoying for my friends or people on the train but what can ya do
    and befor long youll be doing it with out knowing

hope this make sense

5. sleazylenny

Jun 20, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    Man, am I glad to hear I'm not the only "loony" who does this. I've got a spot on the front seat of my car that is worn away because I'm always "plucking" there to the radio. There's this little nub of upholstry that's Juuuust about the size of my E string.

Another exercise I do when I don't have my axe is to tap my right hand fingers with the plucking motion while tapping my left in a fretting fashion. I alternate rhythms and patterns, but the goal is to get the "attacks" from each hand to match up and sound like one attack as close as possible.

As for working a job and fitting in practice time, the answer is obvious. Find a band that pays at least half decent so you can cut back on your straight job hours. IMO, nothing builds chops faster that playing live, providing that you're not getting smashed and really concentrating on what you're play.:)
  6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    There is absolutely no reason to practice this much, especially for a new student.
  7. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I have an instructional video by Beaver Felton where he demonstrates this practice techinque. He also shows how you can practice slapping on your steering wheel. Man, I need to dig that video out and watch it again.
  8. sleazylenny

Jun 20, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    Cool. I'll have to try that one....

( Slips "Mothers Milk" into the CD player. Furiously begins slapping the crap out of steering wheel. PAFF!!!Air bag deploys.)

....uh, maybe not...