Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Practice!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fenderbass1214, Dec 7, 2002.

1. fenderbass1214

fenderbass1214 Guest

Oct 29, 2002
    California
    Today we had our first band practice and we accomplished making and recording. 4 songs. Is that good for a first practice. (Were a Christian Punk band.) We started at 1:00 and ended at like 5:00 or so. Thanks.

2. That's very good. We're on our 4th practice coming up here soon and our singer is still just learning the songs. We go to the guitarist's house and there he sings while me and the guitarist play over and over until he learns how to sing the songs. We already have them written since before we found him, so he has to learn how to sing them. The drummer doesn't go because he'd get bored...

3. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    what a shame some people have to be bothered... Sorry, but when we write, learn new songs, practice, whatever, the entire band is there. Even the drummer...

P@

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Yeah. Even if he can't cart an entire set along, he could always bring a snare and a hi-hat, some bongos or some other kind of hand percussion. It's his loss, as he is left out of part of the music making process.

Remember to bring this up if he ever complains about the songs. (The operative word is "if").

5. I have a question. How does one become a "Christian punk" band. Aren't being a christian and being a punk exact opposites?

6. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Are "punk" and "atheist" synonyms?

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    phhht... people still practice. Haven't you learned anything from fiEELdieY? :rolleyes: ;)

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The only thing that makes a punk, punk was suppose to be their politics. The punks were political, the skinheads were all about the working class (not all skinheads are racist.). But now, all punk is... pop punk. Punk has been redefined to something I don't enjoy a whole lot.

9. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    Who cares? Music is music.

Back on topic.

That's pretty good for a first practice. I just got a band together and we've jammed 3 times, we have 5 songs written. Without drums. Mind you it's pretty simple music, but it's fun, melodic and fast, so I love it.

Remember to have fun. :)

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It's according to your view on what a punk is and what a Christian is. FWIW, there are several bands that play punk style music, with Christian lyrics. And they call theirselves 'punk'.

11. Gulice

Gulice

Sep 13, 2002
    woo damn maybe its time to get outa my band weve jammed many a time and yet the guitarist just cant make songs.... we havent completed one yet

12. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Why don't you do it? It's not the guitarist's job to write the songs...

13. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I must have the ultimate drummer...
    he used to be in a hardcore punk band, doesn't complain about coming to practice(unless he has to move his stuff to another location) and he's written 4 of our songs. The best feeling is when someone introduces a song and the group works it out together--and the "author" doesn't get his feelings hurt if it gets altered a bit.