Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by MasterChief, Feb 7, 2003.

1. MasterChief

Feb 4, 2003
    Is there such thing as too much practice? I absolutely love playing my bass guitar. I can't find the strength to put it down. Unless I want to get more songs to play. Would the type of songs help you be a better bassist. My favorite genres are blues, jazz, any form of rock (hard rock, punk rock, etc). I moved to Australia (didn't like it at all) and when I came back it was to late for me to sign up for the Jazz band that three of the members of the band I play in, attend. (Drummer, Electric Guitarist, Rhythm Guitarist) I took bass lessons and had a hard time reading the music because the book we used had tabs right below what I was supposed to play and it was really hard to stop looking at the tablature. My friend has done the same thing. I am taking bass lessons all over. When we practice together as a band, we play in the electric guitarist's garage. It's really big. It could possibly fit 3 to 4 cars. We have plenty of room and when the doors and windows are closed, no one complains about the loud sound. I used to practice in my room with tablature and sheet music all over the place. My bass guitar is still in Australia. I will get the bass guitar back in March and my amp two months from now. The electric guitarist has been playing the same amount as I have except for the 3 1/2 years we have been playing (me and him started the band) he has been taking lessons. He is in the jazz band. He usually plays technical music. I also think he is the best because he gets what he wants. I had to earn the money for my bass guitar. He has 3 guitars. Right now he has a $1800 gold Les Paul with a $1000 Mesa Boogie Amp. A crybaby, a lot of picks, a music stand, a tuner, a metronome, two more amps, three alligator guitar cases. I have a Crate amp and a Squire by Fender bass guitar. I'm currently saving up for a new bass. I have a metronome, a built-in tuner in my amp and a guitar case. I don't know how I should be playing with a pick. I learned how to use the two finger stroke and don't really like using that style.

Sorry this was such a long message and was very time consuming.
  2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    You cannot over practice. You can however practice poorly. It is important to differentiate practice from play. Practice should be focused, play should be mopre random. Both should be fun and inspiring