Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Practicing advice.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by XDamianX, Nov 6, 2002.

1. XDamianX

XDamianX

Sep 11, 2002
    I have trouble trying to get motivated to practice more than I do. Is there anyone out there that has any ideas?

Thanx

2. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Do it anyway?

Chris A.:rolleyes:

3. fenderbass1214

fenderbass1214 Guest

Oct 29, 2002
    California
    Maybe learn a song that u have liked and then just play to keep u on the bass. Thats my opinion. Or just try new things. :cool:

4. listen to your fave and most inspiring bassline

or watch teh video of it

i always used to watch les claypools awakening if i needed some inspiration.

now i listen to jerry jemmott on memphis soul stew

5. Maybe you're not that committed to learning to play the instrument. Ask yourself if you really want to play the bass, or if you just like the idea of being a bass player. What do you want to do with it? Are you unmotivated because you're not seeing results?

If you don't have a teacher think about finding one. Having a set thing to work on or a goal to reach from lesson to lesson helps to keep you progressing along the path of learning. You will see the results, and that will help to motivate you even more.

6. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Beautifully said!

So, Damian, the question is Why do you feel so unmotivated? Look deep inside that question. I know I feel unmotivated to practice sometimes due to environmental and emotional factors. I've been going through alot personally and sometimes I can't even pick up my bass. :( Funny thing is, though, most of the time the bass is my one true outlet when I'm feeling like that.

Also, maybe you are in a rut and need a challenge. Everybody goes through ruts. Try something new. Find a good teacher. Setting goals for yourself can keep you motivated as well (start small, though, maybe a goal such as 'I want to learn this scale' or 'I'd like to begin learning this style of music'...something that will not bring on discouragement).

I highly recommend the book "Zen Guitar" by Philip Toshio Sudo. One thing it states ever so clearly:

Pick up your guitar (bass in our case)
    Tune
    Play

Easier said than done sometimes, isn't it? But if I can do these things mindfully each day I feel I have accomplished something. Just pouring your heart into 1 note is an accomplishment in itself IMHO.

Hope this helps :)
    Stephanie

7. Great response Ed, I think you were able to express what I was trying to get at in much clearer terms. It just shows me how far I still have to go. The more I learn, the more I realize I need to learn a whole lot more.

8. James S

James S

Apr 17, 2002
    New Hampshire
    The majority of great musicians in the world are not the most talented ones. They are those who are willing to do the work.

A farmer does not wait for inspriation to strike before he plows his fields.

9. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The best motivator that I ever experienced was being in a band. Then you better practice or you will lose the gig. Failing that, practicing with the goal in mind of getting in a band is another big motivator. Think of the kind of band you would like to join and work really hard mastering the skills you think would be required to get you that gig.

If you are a heavy metal fan, work like crazy to get Jason Newsted's position. Another band needing a good bassist is Creed. Work for that gig. You may NOT get such a fabulous gig, but you will be prepared when a local garage band comes calling.

Whatever kind of music you play, there must be a band out there in need of a bassist. Be prepared when opportunity knocks.

Read the classifieds, go to music stores. Read their bulletin boards. Find out who is in search of a bass player. Put your self on the line. Call and apply.

Another thing is to go to open mic nights at local bars and nightclubs...if you are old enough. Force yourself into a position where you have to play. Believe me, you will have far more motivation to practice if you know the results of your woodshedding will be on view for the public.

10. The good ones got as good as they are by practicing so that should be motivation enough, if that does not work think about the fact that you are not going to get any better if you don'g practice. And remember that once somthing that you are practicing gets easy then you stop growing and it is time to learn somthing new. I am not saying to abandon what has gotten easy, but to add somthing on top of that and to start focusing on the new thing. This should help you out at least a little bit