1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Practicing along w/ CD's w/o disturbing roommate

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by participant, May 8, 2006.

1. participant

participant

Feb 7, 2005
    A salesperson at a music store just told me that I could use an Art MyMonitor and be able to plug my bass, output from a CD player, and my headphones into the thing and be able to hear myself play along to a CD.

This, of course, does not even remotely work this way. You can't just y-adapter your CD player into it, plug your instrument cable into it, and hear EITHER ONE from the headphones, much less both.

Is more jury-rigging necessary? Is this what this device was even meant to do? What kind of device(s) WOULD serve this purpose?

Now, I know of expensive gear that lets you play along to CD's where nobody else can hear you. But I need a CHEAP way to do this.

2. Baa

Baa Happy hobbyplayer

Jan 10, 2006
    stockholm, sweden
    I assume you have a computer, since you´re posting.
    I plugged my bass into the mic-input on my soundcard, connected the headphones to the computer, a CD in the CD-player, and VOILA: a cheapo way to do it.
    Its no way the the way, but the cheapest. You have to keep the volume on the bass very low or it will distort.

3. participant

participant

Feb 7, 2005
    Actually, I don't have a computer. This is the one at my work.

4. giantjerk

giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    If you have a headphone jack on your amp and a headphone jack on your stereo you can buy a splitter from Radioshack or other similar retailer that has two male 1/4" plugs and a female 1/4" jack. Plug the male plugs into your stereo and amp and then your headphones into the female jack. Adjust the sound levels accordingly. You may need to buy extension cords if the splitter is not long enough. All of this can be acquired for under $20.

Tascam bass trainers can be found for around $100. This may be out of your "cheap" range though.

5. If your looking for a solution that doesnt require a computer. Check out Tascam CD-BT1mkll. You can jam along with CD and slow the song down if you want to without losing tone.. There are so many other things it does. I have one and its pretty good. You can search it here in the forum many folks use it.

6. look at some of the low end multieffect processors...i know the DOD bass30 has cd in...i think maybe the digitech and Zoom ones do too...otherwise there's always

[​IMG]

for your roommate

oh yeah, and http://www.pocketrockit.com/v2.htm

7. Funkypants

Funkypants

Apr 17, 2006
    Man, I used to use this little thing from a small company here in Brazil.

It's called "powerclick". Mine was the simplest and had two inputs and one output, one vol knob for each input, a master volume knob and a tone knob.

I had it just for practicing but a friend uses it like an in-ear monitor for playing in small clubs.
    My drummer uses it with a metronome on one of the inputs.

It's a very helpful small thingy.

[​IMG]

8. participant

participant

Feb 7, 2005
    THanks for being so awesome and fast w/ replies!

9. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004

+ 1 on this....

10. its funny you say that...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245087&highlight=tascam

11. i own this and love it...especially since joining a cover band...its a wonderful tool (and it hooks up to my 68watt desktop speakers/sub too...)

12. participant

participant

Feb 7, 2005
    The headphone jack was broken. That was the problem.

13. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings

And another one!!

14. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
  15. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Nope. You might luck-out, but connecting the outputs of two power amps to each other is generally not safe for one or both amps.

They end-up 'fighting-it-out' onto each other's low impedances. I think some amps can pop pretty quick doing that.

Joe

16. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Expensive solution but I use a Pandora with an MP3 player. The effects are much better, there is are a bunch of drum patterns to play with, and it's much smaller, almost pocket sized. If you already have an MP3 player or CD player, you can get a used PX3B for around $70 on ebay.