Practicing at work?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bassthumpa, Jun 15, 2005.

1. bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Just a curious question: How many of you take your bass with you to work and practice during lunch/breaks?

Its been tough for me to make time to practice lately, and I'm thinking that practicing during my breaks at work will probably be the best way to get the most practice time in. The only down side is that I don't have a hardshell case for regular travel, but I have a solid bag that is well padded, so with a little care it should be fine. Its not like it'll be bumping around in the trunk, I'd just have to settle it on the backseat floor.

Anyone else find themselves in a crunch trying to squeeze in practice time?
  2. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I do the majority of my practice at work. However I do have the luxury of an office with a door. I keep a bass and headphone amp here and plug into the computer to play the tunes I'm learning/brushing-up on. When I'm at home I'd rather do things with my family than disappear for a while to practice. It's a nice break from work and I get anywhere from 30-60 minutes in each weekday. I need to start doing some non-song work (I've got Ed Friedland's walking book and SITSOM) but it's easier to either work on songs or work on writing new material than structured practice.
  3. eldave777

May 24, 2005
    You might consider buying a cheapo to leave at work. If you have a locker or somewhere you could keep it. I know guys who have done that rather than take their good bass to work.
  4. bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I wish I had an office with the door, but us 1st level managers don't have that luxury here. :meh: Oh well.
    Good idea, but I don't have the cash to spare for that right now. Its not like my one and only is a high end one, and it would be right next to me all day, so I'm not worried about theft during the day. We have a nice sized break room, so I could head in there with my Pandora and not have to worry about disturbing anyone. There are others that practice guitar in there on their breaks.
  5. dhodgeh

Jul 15, 2004
    I've got an old G&L SB-2 that I leave at work for just that thing. Instead of just a headphone amp, take a look at a Zoom PS-04 Pocket Studio. Great little pocket recorder with some fairly good amp sims and a drum machine built in.

Close the door to my office, plug-in the bass and headphones, and off I go.

The hard part is putting it all away when it's time to get back to work.

6. this is a terrific idea ....

makes me think I should pick up a cheapo 5 string to leave in the office.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't have an office, I work in a cubicle.

I have an old Westone steinberger copy that I am going to repair and bring up here, along with my Rockman. I have an overhead locking cabinet that is just long enough for a headless bass to fit.
  8. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I had thought of bringing my cheapo acoustic for practice. Now that I've read some of the other replies I'm thinking, would an electric bass plugged into a headphone amp be much quieter?

My problem with either scenario is locking up the bass during the overnight. :( I'd be able to easily get 30-45 minutes / day of practice if I brought one in though.
  9. bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Ok, technically I'm in a cube also. I just keep telling myself otherwise. ;)
  10. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Yep, when I had a Steinberger Spirit XT-2 (boat paddle type) I stored it in an overhead. My XZ-2 (more normal body) doesn't quite fit.

I don't know what I'd do if I was still in cube-land. Probably practice at home since I prefer to play standing up.
  11. thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    I actually bought a headphone amp for just this purpose (playing on breaks at work). I have a big car (Honda Element), and bring my bass, headphone amp, metronome, sheet music, mp3 player etc. Just like normal practice time. For more than 6 months I was doing this almost every day. Some of the most productive musical time of my life. These days, I take long lunches and go home and play, but I highly recommend it to anyone looking for some extra time to play.