1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

practicing bass out and about

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by xdanxx, Aug 21, 2012.

1. xdanxx

xdanxx

Mar 12, 2008
    Does anyone ever practice bass outside of the home?

I sometimes find myself with time to kill in between classes, and ive contemplated bringing my bass with me and my zoom pedal to hook up to with some headphones to get some extra practice time in.

Just wondering if anyone else does it, how they do it, and if they feel weird for doing it. I can imagine you might get looks :p

2. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    Used to bring my bass to school during exam time. I say go for it

3. LowEndLove

LowEndLove

Aug 4, 2012
    Check out my thread Search beaver creek mini bass

4. xdanxx

xdanxx

Mar 12, 2008
    wow that little thing is awesome. Ive had my eye on an acoustic from rondos; however, just figured an electric with some headphones would be less of a nuisance. Im sure most people don't want to hear me run scales for an hour. Less likely to hear a "play freebird" comment too

5. Turxile

Turxile

May 1, 2011
    I keep a Ministar Basstar in the boot of the car, just in case.....
    I'm not going to say it's a good bass any means but it does the job of noodling when i'm bored. it's extremely portable, lightweight, comes with a built in headphone amp, and cheap enough. Very practical.

6. Great idea for turning idle time into productive time. Go for it. I've played in my hotel room (without an amp) while on the road. It was quiet and didn't bother anyone.

7. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Good idea. Sadly it does attract attention and I'm not comfortable with that. What I like to do is keep my music on my iPad (ForScore) and when I have down time, I find a quiet place and sing the parts to myself. That not really practicing, but if I can get a melody in my head, its a lot easier to play when I have a bass in my hands.

8. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    I wouldn't be confortable to bring a bass at school unless you are in college earning a degree in music.

9. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    Music wise, there is plenty you can practice without a bass handy.
    Reading rhythm, for one.

10. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Go for it, many great players always had their instrument to hand as they never like to be parted from it. I would say you should not feel self conscious about doing it as playing to an audience is what the job is ultimately about.

11. xdanxx

xdanxx

Mar 12, 2008
    Why? If it means an extra 4-5 hours of practice a week, who really cares what anyone thinks?

12. rashbeep

rashbeep Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2005
    Toronto, ON
    i did this pretty much all the time in high school. it does attract a lot of attention, but i found it a good way to be productive when doing nothing else.

13. wrench45us

wrench45us

Aug 26, 2011
    This is one of the reasons my first and so far only bass is a Steinberger (spirit) -- portability and ease of taking along on weekends and being able to play in any room (as opposed to having to go the the room where the piano or drum kit is)

14. I like to take my Guild B-500 ABG over to the park after dinner and sit on a picnic table and practice until the sun sets.

100_6430.

15. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    It is more about the extra weight you'll have to bring with you, there is always a chance it get stole if you're not careful.

In a music school it is less of a problem since you have to play like all day long between class just to keep up with all the material you have to learn/understand

Also ... only 4 or 5 hours of extra practice ... at school ... I would do my homework instead so after school I have all the time I want to play music in a better environnement to learn if I can play 3 hours each night in a focused environnement it is better than 5 extra hours of unfocussed play when you have to go to your class and maybe do homework and groupe homework before leaving school ... in those case your bass is just extra weight to cary around.

16. I practice at school, cause I'm in band and I also take lessons.