Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Practicing: fretless only or both?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by FretNoMore, Oct 27, 2002.

1. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I'm going to shape up and do more practicing. Yeah, right. No, really! :)

With the limited time I can set aside for practicing I have a theory it is better to do all my practicing on a fretless. Apart from being good for intonation on the fretless (duh) it should also give me a better technique on fretted (forces correct positions and finger choices) as I can't cheat between frets. Any thoughts on this? Do I miss something in terms of technique or tone on fretted bass if I do this?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    That's what I always aim to do too, but I like slapping too much to stick to it. :p

3. took the words right out of my mouth! :D

l8rz

Tom

4. daysofelijah

daysofelijah Guest

Oct 15, 2002
    funny, I have the tendency to do that too.....

it makes sense, because once you've mastered your lines, scales, etc. on the fretless, transferring them over to the fretted should be almost automatic.....

alas, the ingrained desire to slap my strings silly compels me to pick up the fretted instrument and indulge my nasty little habit......

:( :( for shame, for shame......:( :(

God bless.....

:)

eli

5. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Actually, I do it the exact opposite. I practice on a fretted bass mostly and I play as if I were playing a fretless. I put my fingers right up against the frets and work on my technique on the fretted bass and then when I play the fretless, I just do the same thing and my intonation is not really an issue. I have been doing this since about 1987 and I find that it helps me to be a decent fretless player. I heard Jaco say that that is what he did and it sounded like a good idea to me. He said it also helped save the fingerboard on his fretless bass.

However, recently, I have gotten a Music Man Stingray5 fretless bass and I love it so much that that is all that I play on when I am practicing. LOL.