Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Practicing in your Apartment (noise issue)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Aram, Jun 26, 2003.

1. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Hi Everyone,

I have a problem. When I practice upright bass in my apartment, my neighbor below me fervently complains. I'm technically allowed to play until 11pm, but I don't want to disturb the peace. Apparently the downstairs neighbor is the only one that hears me, most likely because the endpin transmits the sounds directly to my wood floor.

To rectify this problem, I have tried blankets, pillows, thick foam rubber, an inflateable pillow, a carpet, playing on my bed and every combination of those you can imagine. But nothing seems to cut the vibrations out to the floor. Can anyone think of anything I can put between the endpin and the floor to remedy this situation? Please let me know...

Thanks!
    Aram

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Have you tried a mute?

3. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Yep, tried a huge practice mute...it actually makes some of the vibrations to the floor worse (but does cut down on the sound in my room...)

4. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    What you have to do is isolate the end pin from the floor. Can be done but not easy.

Here is what I would try. Get a solid box (wood) several inches deep fill the box with sand or bird shot (something that is heavy and loose) to with in an inch or so of the top. then get a second board and carve an end pin divit in it this board should be smaller that the box so that it does not touch the outer box at all. You might have to use string and tie the board in place to keep it from moving to the side of the box. Place the board on top of the sand then stick the end pin in the divit and play your bass then check with the guy down staris see if can hear it can hear it.

This is how to isolate vibration from the floor.

Joe

5. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY

Joe,

Excellent idea -- thanks very much!! I will definitely try that this weekend. I'll let you know how that works out.

-Aram

6. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    one more thing you might want to comver the box with cloth to prevent the contents from spilling out. and to keep you cat from using it for other things.

the end pin board would go over the cloth.

Just thinking you could just use a sand bag and glue a rock stop on it.

7. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    In addition, keep a practice schedule. If your neighbor knows what time you will be practicing, it's easier for them to deal with. Being friendly (buying them a bottle of wine or good beer six-pack) will go a long way. What time would they be out of the building? Work something out with them, and keep to it. It ain't easy, but it's worth a shot. Unless, of course, they are just plain arseholes.

Surprising somebody doesn't sell a premade upright bass/cello practice box for this very purpose...

8. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006

i have done this sand box thing. it has 4 inches of sand, surface is about 8x15".
    the strange thing is that is makes the bass not any less loud, but actually increases bass transmission into the floor. the floor must be wood with vorious layers of pvc and cheap wood-style laminate on top. you can easily feel with your feet that there is less Lf transmission into the floor WITHOUT the box. i regulatly have a little piece of wood underrhe endpin to protect floor surface. what is wrong?