1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Practicing Motivation

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Sharkabilly, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Sharkabilly

Sharkabilly

Sep 26, 2007
    What gets you up to do what needs to be done?

2. C'mon....you can do a bit better.
    With what, on what, with who......
    No profile info.
    Fuqua calls me Miss Tearious sometimes, but this is silly. :eyebrow:

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Wife, kids, mortgage, car payments....

Oh yeah. I really love playing, too.... and I prefer not to sound like crap.

4. hot women.

5. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    +1. Isn't that what the interweb is for?

6. Internet wiminz can't dig on my big bass tone and jazz chops.

7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Dave, you gotta stop giving me these straight lines, I'm having a hard time holding back....

8. LOL. Yeah. Forget about being the lead guitarist or singer of a rock band. The secret to pulling the chicks is playing jazz bass. A quick show of hands, how many here have actually seen a hot chick at jazz gig (it doesn't count if she was there by accident)?

mark

9. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I did have a pretty hot girl comment on the size of my hands and how she was envious of my bass for getting to dance with me all night. The conversation ended like this...

her - "you know what they say about men with big hands..."

me - "they wear big gloves?"

10. Don't be hatin'.

11. Very smooth.

12. dvh

dvh Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I've heard it only once, from the mouth of a babe seeing our show by pure chance:

"Bass is the sexiest instrument."

(I couldn't agree more. Oh, too bad she was married...)

13. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    You shouldn't responded with "yep. Bass is sexy alright. Everything is just bigger and deeper. Did I mention harder too?"

14. joel kelsey

joel kelsey

Aug 1, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    someone sent this to me...

Attached Files:

15. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    [​IMG]

Listening to my own clams in CD-quality recordings is all the motivation I need.

16. I love the bass and I love playing it... I have to admit in my yewt chicks were a prime motivation for just about everything.... Now.....being upright and ambulatory every morning is pretty much motivation and a blessing!:D

17. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Sometimes I try to sleep in - but usually by around 8:30 I need to pee pretty badly...

18. Used to be physical qualities.....now, it's more about brains and a sense of humor. :help:

19. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    This is a big topic with me lately.

I think one factor in getting my students to practice, is building in some success- You want to feel like your "getting it" as your ability is developing. Lots of little self pats on the back, as little goals are reached. Too much of learning is threat-based "You won't get a good grade unless, you will never get a gig unless, this is a DEADLINE".

You want your head to hit the pillow at the end of the day with the thought that "I achieved A and B and C, and tomorrow I will take on D".
    "D" should be exciting to you, your personal Everest. Seriously. Having a set of long-term and short-term goals is really helpful. Make a list today of where you want to be in 5 years, and make it specific. Then break it down into how you are going to get there. Plan your practice routine accordingly, and tick off the things as you get them done.

Scales, Arpeggios, repertoire: including studies and tunes, playing along with CD's, transcribing, working on styles and tempos. . .

20. Adam Booker

Adam Booker Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    Getting up? Hell I get no sleep if I don't. Dad always said while I sleep, someone else is practicing. To hell with the boogie man, that scared the crap outta me at an early age.