Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

practicing on vacation

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Sharp, Jul 29, 2003.

1. Sharp

Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Oakland
    Artists Relations, KMI
    I'm going to be bass-less for 3 weeks... im already dreading it. how do i practice while i'm away and without a bass?
    peace all-

2. I remember I didn't play bass for a day because I went somewhere,and got back all late and went to sleep...and if felt really weird...I try to get atleast 30 mins of practice a day so I won't lose my groove;)

What you could do is relax...it's vacation,escape from your daily life...Just relax and have fun:)

take care,and have fun!

-Jon:oops:

3. I guess you could do some ear training (aka listening to music).

enjoy your holiday! :cool:

4. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Why not take your bass with you?

I picked up a cheap ($30) headphone amp just for such an emergency. Some effects boxes like the Korg PX4B can power headphones as well.

I know I felt kinda silly packing up my bass and some method books when I went camping last year, but I was happy that I had my stuff when the urge to play hit me!

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Depends where you're going on vacation. I sometimes take my ABG camping - that's one of the reasons for having it.

On the other hand, a three week break won't mean you loose all your skills. Plan a bit of time when you get back to work on rudiments like scales and you'll get your edge back soon enough. Meanwhile, relax, enjoy the break and take in all the new experiences that will feed your creativity in coming months.

Wulf

6. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    You could buy the book, "A Rhythmic Vocabulary" from dancing hands music or some other rhythm books, where you don't need a bass or a reference tone at all. You just need to tap out rhythms and write out displacements for them.

7. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Bring a some sheet music and work on your reading skills. Even if you don't have a bass, you can practice recognizing notes, and maybe even visualizing them on a bass in your imagination.

Practice singing, vocals can only help a player's marketability or value to their band.

If you are really desperate, bring a wooden board about the width of you bass neck and practice your fingerings on it. Or get one of those gripmaster or whatever cool finger exerciser their selling now-a-days.

8. thumbtrap

thumbtrap

Jun 26, 2003
  9. It's really interesting with a huge number of effects, cab and amp models and such.

*shrug*

I'd suggest getting an Essex short scale P-bass copy and a PX4B. You really can't get much smaller than that.

ed

10. genesis6891

genesis6891

May 29, 2003
    Yes you can - an Ashbory:bassist: