Practicing rhythm

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by trust24, Feb 2, 2009.

1. trust24

trust24

Nov 4, 2008
    On study bass he explains why practicing rhythm is just as important if not more impotant as practicing other things. So does anyone have an examples of how i could practice this

2. debassr

debassr

Jan 23, 2008
    Boston
  3. trust24

trust24

Nov 4, 2008
    Well i played drums before bass so its not needed, I may have misunderstood it then. When he says practiceing rhythm does he just mean play anything along with a metronome?

4. Otso

Otso

Mar 6, 2006
    Finland
    Dividing the beat is the most important thing IMO followed by thinking of durations in relation to each other. First you have to get a feel for the beat, as in 1 2 3 4 (like in 4/4). Then divide them into eightnotes 1and 2and 3and 4and (I like to use all sorts of tiki tiki tiki tiki sounds I make with my mouth to divide beats). Then divide them again into sixteenthnotes, tikitaka tikitaka or whatever you may want to use. Also try dividing beats into three parts for triplets and shuffle feel. Then get some notation, something funky with lots of syncopation, and figure out on which part of a beat each note falls on. Later you start to get the feel for rhythmic figures, they become a bit like words, when you hear them, you'll know what they look like on paper and how the durations relate to each other, and also when you read notes, you'll know straight away what the rhythm sounds like.

5. LowDog

LowDog

Jul 6, 2005
    Pick up a copy of "The Evolving Bassist" by Rufus Reid. He has a exercise that starts with tied whole notes and ends up with 16th note triplets. He takes you through the subdivisions of the notes. This exercise will take 30 minunets if played at 60 bpm(beats per mununet). This is the best way I have found to work by myself with a metronome. Once you get through the exercise repeat every day as necessary. I started using this book in 1975 and still use this exercise today. If you do not know how to read notations, no worry, Rufus will guide you through.

Good luck, see you down the highway

Low Dog

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021