Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Practicing scales in each key

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Sean Baumann, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Quick Q for you all. I'm on a quest to improve my practicing.

When you all say that you are practicing your scales in all keys, do you mean that you are playing the modes, or are you playing the relative major, minor, dominate, augmented, or whatever scale for a key. So, for example, in the key of G, are you practicing G, Am, Bm, etc etc OR are you practicing G ionian, A dorian, B phrygian? I just want to make sure I am getting the most out of my time.

Can anybody give me some fingerings that they use for thw 2 octave scales?

thanks a bunch! TB rules!

2. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Ahh ok, I know what you mean now. You're basically just practicing the major scale (or whatever scale) following the circle of fifths.

I figured that practicing the modes would help you to determine what to play over a particular chord in a progression.

Maybe I'm just mixing apples and oranges. I want to be more proficient when it comes to note choice while improvising a bass line. Let me put this into context, I play for a Christian P&W band, and generally speaking no one in the band can read music (except me). I'm usually given lyrics w/ chords written over them, no bars or anything. I have to improvise a bass line on the spot w/ the drummer, but most of the time I go for the basics (arpegios), and whenever I venture out I always seem to find the wrong notes (let alone bad rhythm)!!