1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Practicing someone obscure/unusual fingerings (broken fourths)

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by PaulYeah, Mar 26, 2021.

1. PaulYeah

PaulYeah

Mar 1, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    So I've gone back to basics recently and decided to learn all the broken intervals in every key. I'm currently working on fourths (for this exercise, a note, then down a fourth.) I encountered this fingering, which, while unlikely to be used very often, is challenging enough that I'm spending a lot of time getting it down in every key and position:

-----4-
    ---7--3
    ----7--
    -------

Do you practice these kinds of fingerings, and is it worth the investment in time to have a "complete" catalog of fingerings mastered?

2. WrapRough

WrapRough

Jan 26, 2021
    London
    Yeah, I do practice permutations like:

1,2,3, 2, 3, 4, 3, 4, 5, 4, 5, 6, 5, 6, 7, 6, 7, 8, and then back down the same. Also, 1,2,3, 4, 3, 2 etc

I do that going up to different degrees of the scale. What I need to start doing is covering this across all the modes and not just Ionian, aeolian, and dorian

I think this type of stuff is what gives us our vocabulary so it's really important IMO

Luckily I actually find this stuff quite fun to do play as it can be challenging on the brain :)

MattZilla and PaulYeah like this.
  3. BrotherMister

BrotherMister

Nov 4, 2013
    Scotland
    PVG Membership
    Tabs only give us a fret to play on, not what fingering to use. For example on those 4 frets alone you can finger them in roughly 64 different ways. I say roughly because I did the maths in my head and I lost count, but all 4 fingers give you 24 fingering possibilities. I think 3 fingers give you 24 as well because you can use different combinations of your fingers. Some of which you’d just avoid like the plague such all 4 frets using your 3rd finger. Never the less, it is a possible fingering for those four frets.

I’m guessing the question you are asking pertains to the position shift? Please correct me if I’m wrong about that though. If I’m playing scales in broken intervals. I’m trying to make sure I know them across the neck in as many different ways as possible. Some are far easier than others and they tend to be the ones we fall back on but what I’ve found is you will eventually encounter a situation where that way isn’t the most beneficial for whatever reason. Adding other ways really helps you to full control over the neck and a deeper understanding of what notes are in the key/scale you are playing because you’ll know all the ways you can move from say B down to F and where they are on the neck.

Wraprough has given you yet another way to practise as well, scales grouped in 3rds, 4ths, 5ths etc.

It’s a whole lot of work but with it comes a whole lot of benefits and a deeper understanding. Hope that helps somewhat.

MattZilla, WrapRough and PaulYeah like this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021