Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Practicing through headphones - options?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Apr 8, 2003.

1. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'd like (well, the wife would like it) to be able to learn songs without making any noise. I typically download songs and learn them while sitting at my computer - which is about 8 feet away from my wife's computer.

Anyway, the least expensive option I've seen so far appears to be a Rockman Bass Ace headphone amp (the old Tom Scholz thingy), which if I read the specs correctly has an input so that I can go from my computer's sound output to it, and play along in the headphones. Anyone have any thoughts about this option or any others? My amp doesn't have a headphone output, btw.

Thanks for any suggestions. :)

2. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I was thinking about making a stool to use with headphones using an Aura Bass shaker. Kinda like Euphonic Audio's Rumble Seat, but for a cost of about $30 at partsexpress.com.......

link to bass shaker at parts express

.........for 30 bucks, why not?

3. mikarre

mikarre Guest

I practice with headphones a lot. I use my ZOOM 607 and I just plug the 'phones into the output jacks. It's great, b/c I can put it on the floor and switch patches as usual. I also have a Pandora PX3 guitar personal FX, but I like the ZOOM better b/c I can switch it with my feet. I think the ZOOM goes for around $100, a bit more than you're talking about, but you could get a used one for less I'm sure.

The ZOOM isn't the greatest FX processor, and to tell the truth I rarely use it with my amp, but for this application I really like it.

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I've been wanting a really small battery powered amplifier that I can plug into my bass, and plug headphones into - which I can take anywhere. I've not seen such a thing, I might have to end up making one.

5. I often use an old Ibanez RP202 RocknPlay. Plays cassettes, has a pitch shift, and I learn a lot of new songs on it.

6. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I use to do this, with a Bass Rockman (the original, before the Bass Ace), and it works really well. I found with a decent set of headphones I can hear the bass better. I don't do it anymore, I now use a Bass Pod into my computers line in, so the bass and music I'm learning both come out of the computers speakers, but I've been thinking of digging out the old Rockman again.

7. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    How is it powered, do you know?

8. BenF

BenF

Mar 29, 2001
    Boston area