Practicing with a keyboard

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Lovebown, Dec 22, 2002.

1. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    hello guys,
    I've been practicing with a keyboard lately, my good ol' KORG M1. It can sequence stuff and I've found it real useful to play melodies and scales on the synth. Then I play along with what I've sequenced on the bass for working on intonation.

Anyone comments on this approach? Anyone use it?
    Are there any other benefits I can draw from the keyboard and/or the sequencer other than what I'm doing already?

2. You could use it to write a million selling hit tune; other than that they're useless :)
    Except for tuning your bass to :)

Seriously, I think this is a great idea. I also like to use the keyboard to visualize chords and help me hear intervals. I wish I could play better.
  3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I sometimes record exercises I'm working on at the piano and then practice along with the recording. I hope to be equipped with a sound module in the near future though, as it's easy to adjust the tempo without changing pitch. Being able to speed exercises up over time would be more than worth the price of admission.
  4. I do the same thing with scales and exersizes, I also play the changes to tunes I am working on and record them in Cakewalk as midi files that way I can adjust the tempo without changing pitch.