1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Practicing with a new baby in the house.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Jeremy K, Feb 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Jeremy K

Jeremy K

May 31, 2015
    Kenosha, WI
    This is my first real Talkbass thread so I hope I'm in the right forum area. I wasn't sure if this should go under gear but since it's about practicing I thought I'd post it here.

So I'm a new father trying to fit practicing into my dad and work schedule. I can't practice when the baby is awake because she needs constant attention and I can't practice when she's asleep because it's too loud.

I would really like to be able to practice upstairs in my room where my PC is so I can watch technique videos and practice through my headphones. I've been looking for a guitar interface but everything I find on Newegg, TigerDirect, Amazon or anywhere else is all external. I don't want another external thing on my desk with a cord hanging down for the baby to pull on. I know I can get an amp with a headphone jack but I have enough amps already.

Does anyone know where I can find a drive bay mounted interface? It doesn't have to be fancy, I just need to be able to practice with it. If it had a usb jack for audio input that would be awesome too as my headphones are digital and use a USB jack. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  2. Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  3. Logic_11

Logic_11

Nov 22, 2015
    Atlantic Ocean
    I have a bass pod and i use it to practice in the mornings for in the middle of the night. It has a thing for a headphone jack

Oldschool94 likes this.
  4. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Soundblaster Audigy exPlatinum
    5.25" drive bay install.
    Quite a few years old

Clark Dark likes this.
  5. GastonD

GastonD

Nov 18, 2013
    Belgrade, Serbia
    VOX amplug has turned out great for me. Very small and goes directly into your guitar's output jack. I put only one earbud in if jamming with a computer, but there is an input if using other mp3 devices. For your situation, probably the best nag for the buck.

pebo and Clutchcargo like this.
  6. Another vote for Vox Amphone. Due to work stuff my usual practice time is near 11pm and I rent a room in a small apartment with other folks, so playing amplified at even low volume is a no no. The Amphone has decent sound, decent battery life, aux-in for backing tracks... a little fragile though, don't drop it (like I did. Now the compressor knob is stuck argh).

7. getrhythm

getrhythm

Nov 2, 2015
    New Jersey
    Maybe don't play so loudly? My playing (along with the stereo and the kid(s) in the same room) at reasonable volume just used to put my kids to sleep.

Jazz Ad, DwaynieAD and Londo Molari like this.
  8. Jeremy K

Jeremy K

May 31, 2015
    Kenosha, WI
    I'll check out the Vox Amphone. I would still really prefer to have something contained in my desktop tower. I'm trying to manage clutter as well and something I could just plug into would be great. As for practicing quieter there are two problems with that 1) Everything wakes this kid up and 2) I don't know about you guys but practice at a low volume changes the way I play. You can't hear everything and I start pulling harder and my technique goes all to hell.

9. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Kaint help on the USB phones or drive bay interface question but....

Behringer guitar V-Amp 3 gets used at work at lunch when I have time(work PC with playlist or mp3 player+bass>V-Amp>phones). Same thing got used at home by me(PC in same room with sleeping wife when practicing late at night) and by daughter when she was in college(jazz band bass). Had the Behringer bass V-Amp but found I preferred having the reverb control separate from the "patches". The tube pre is about the only one I use although the other ones are "fun" for pretending to be a metal bassist.

10. Play/practice with your kid(s) there...I did it with my first since day 1 and he's huge into music now (4yrs old plays piano, drums)...my second boy is 8 months old and has gotten use to my practice routine..whether it be jamming to radio while kids play or often just they just sit there watching me run through scales, arpeggios in amazement. I think it's good for their inner rhythms to hear framiliar patterns at a young, impressionable age.
    Music is good for kids and the sooner it becomes a part of their lives, the longer and more consistent it will be in yours.
    Hope you find what works for you..

11. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
  12. Radio

Radio

Jan 8, 2010
    New Haven, CT
    Probably not helpful, but I'm with BTF: buy your daughter a drum kit.

13. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    That's what I use, too; however, the OP said no devices with cords. Can't see why he can't put it out of reach when not in use. Doubt he leaves the bass on a stand where it could be knocked over and the bass damaged or the baby injured.

CatSquare and Oldschool94 like this.
  14. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Sent you a PM ...

15. I use an iRig system for quiet practice or when i'm not home. It plugs into my phone, I can add effects on the go.. Then through headphones.

Another approach is to not use headphones. I usually practice with my full gear even if the kids are asleep. I just don't put it as loud and remove some bass from my EQ. They learned to sleep with the music easily.

DwaynieAD likes this.
  16. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

Vox Amplug2 for Bass. You can use it pretty much anywhere, and play through the headphones makes it nice a quiet so you won't disturb your baby....

Congrats by the way.

17. When at home, I use the Vox AmPHone for Bass. It has a chord, but it goes to the bass. It also has a headphone interface for your computer/tablet/phone so you can listen and play along while watching...not sure what is meant by keeping chords away from baby. My chords store neatly on the desk when not in use.

There is one potential drawback. The settings are very difficult to adjust on the fly. I had to set it up and adjust at my bass...not really an issue for me, but for those who like to make frequent amp adjustments....

Here's a link
    Amazon.com: VOX AMPHONESBASS Active Amplifier Headphones: Musical Instruments

Dug2 likes this.
  18. Londo Molari

Londo Molari

Jan 1, 2014
    2 blocks east of Mars
    Decendant from the Clovis culture. "Emitting that wonderful bass effect since 1970".
    What ever you do, do not, I repeat, do not let the baby keep you quiet.
    Your baby will adjust to you making some noise and get used to it.
    The tyranny of quietness will destroy you in time.

19. Buszkock

Buszkock

Dec 13, 2015
    New York
    CatSquare, Londo Molari and Bruce_M like this.
  20. As a new father myself (my daughter just turned a year old) I know exactly what you are talking about. Find the cheapest practice amp you can with a headphone out or a dedicated headphone amp (should be able to be done for less than $50; used is the best bet here), and buy a decent pair of headphones (also should be able to be accomplished for less than $50 from Sennheiser, AKG, and Audio Technica). I would suggest over the ears both for tone and the fact that you can have them half covering your ears and it is kind of like playing unplugged. As the kid gets older you can have them with you when you practice and they can just play on the floor. This is how I have lived by bass life for the past year. Finding the time, now that is the real problem.

Dogbertday likes this.