1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Practicing With Headphones SUCKS!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Hevy T, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    I have a decent pair of headphones Audio Technica ATH M50x

Well they used to sound good when I practice, but I think that playing the bass, especially my 5 strings is slowly destroying them! Everything sounds like it rattles with the basses, though music still sounds good

I wish I could just use my amp to practice, but my wife suffers from migraines and I have a dog that is scared to death of noise

What do ya'll do in this kind of situation? I don't even have a drummer to fire at the moment :(

mikewalker likes this.
  2. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Get a new wife and dog?.....

Badwater, wncBass, Florinda4 and 26 others like this.
  3. Eric ER

Eric ER

Mar 22, 2015
    Seattle, wa
    Previous: Dusty Strings harp/dulcimer building
    I just deal with the rattles knowing that it sounds better in reality. You could also just practice unplugged.

47th Street likes this.
  4. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown

Feb 16, 2011
    Send wifey out with fido for an hour walk every other day?

5. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    If everything rattles, then your bass needs a proper setup or you need better technique.

Headphones are magnifying glasses for the ears.

6. First of the M50 are a little on the bassy side. Maybe turn down the bass on your amp. Second, maybe try a pair of open back head phones. The bass has a place to escape causing less rattle?

7. Bodeeni

Bodeeni Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    NYC
    I am playing through headphones right now. Sony MDR 7506, but yours are decent. Nothing should rattle and you can hit volume levels that are dangerous. If you walk into almost any session you can expect to hear yourself through cans. I can get distortion problems easily by over driving the channels or interface I am playing through. I guess you can blow the speakers in the headphones that might only show up with the bass, but you have serious headphones that should not be an issue. What do you play them through?

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I practice all the time, after midnight, with paper thin walls and a neighbor right under me who gets nuts if I sneeze too loud.

Take your amp off the floor, put it close to you, and turn the volume way down.

It's practice. It doesn't have to be loud.

PS. I hate headphones too. I never use them.

9. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    I am playing through a small Ampeg BA 108, Which I have a Korg rack tuner and Art Audio dual 15 band EQ hooked up to. One side EQ's the music coming in off my Mac and the other is the channel that I run the bass through.

10. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Never even thought about the issue of them being closed back! That might be the culprit!

One of the guys at my local L and M suggested DJ headphones! What ya think of that?

robertj22 likes this.
  11. I think the issue is how you have your headphones EQd. I've never used my ATH M50s for practice, but I've never had them rattle either unless they are turned up really loud. I like Joe Nerves suggestion. I do both and actually use open back when using headphones, but even those headphones would rattle if eqd wrong or when the volume is up really loud.

My set up. Winter time headphones. Summer time amp with the volume turned down. I could probably turn up my amp louder, but I choose not too.
    IMG_4643.JPG

Sunset Shalom, tlc1976 and SirMjac28 like this.
  12. Bodeeni

Bodeeni Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    NYC
    That could be the problem. You might consider just an interface (sound card) for the mac and skip the amp. I use a Focusrite Solo, but there are hundreds and most even come with a bundled DAW recording software. This is my setup this morning. I am playing though Sonar, but also will use Amplitude if I want a bunch of Amps and effects options. Super easy to play along with music or Youtube. Studio quality sound. IMG_0894.JPG

13. Moody Tuner

Moody Tuner

Jun 30, 2017
    Chicago
    I practice into Logic through my audio interface. In addition to the benefits mentioned above, any interesting idea that I come up with can instantly be recorded and never forgotten.

+6dB Dan likes this.
  14. EMoneySC2

EMoneySC2 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    I play through headphones all the time, and I often use a pair of Audio Technica M50x, just like you, and my signal is great. My headphones are connected to a headphone amp that's wired to the headphone out of my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. I run a DI to the 2i2 from the Radial JDI off my pedalboard.

Just last night I was blasting low F# through those M50x headphones and I don't get any rattling sound.

Is the rattling coming from your bass?

Potentially you're clipping the headphone audio source.

15. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    I practice with headphones all the time. I don't have an amp anymore so I play through a mixboard.

Your headphones may be dead.
    You may have a good EQ when playing with the amp but way way way too much bass when playing with headphones.

kodiakblair, Mili and smogg like this.
  16. Danny H

Danny H Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2017
    Ultimate Ear IEM model UE 11 are made for bass players.

17. TheBass

TheBass

Jul 2, 2004
    Germany
    As I mostly practice very late in the evening or in the night I use headphones too to let my family sleep. I mostly use my Sennheiser HD-25 for this. There is no rattling, distortion or noise at all and the sound is perfect. I guess there must be an issue with your headphones or your headphone amp.

18. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    I use a pair of Koss from the 70s....seem to be bullet proof....lol...i get fatigue before they ever do !

bumperbass and SirMjac28 like this.
  19. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    It took awhile, but my dogs have been conditioned to like rock and roll (play a song, give a treat, repeat). That may or may not work for the wife, so maybe a nice pair of custom earplugs from Santa?

20. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I used to practice every night after the family went to sleep by plugging right into my mac and using garageband and headphones. I didnt use an amp at all. Then I decided that I wanted to use my amp instead of headphones so I did what Joe Nerve said...got the amp off the floor and turned way down.

AdamK likes this.