Practicing your bass and why its well the way it is....

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Davygravy3, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Davygravy3

Sep 21, 2000
    I have noticed recently that unless I am playing with friends, or I am playing in Jazz band, I GET VERY BORED practicing. Mainly because almost all songs these days are made with some of the most LAME bass parts. And then I think well I can make something up, my patience lasts about 20 seconds so then I say no I don't want to do that, then I say maybe some Jazz band music play that and after the first few bars realize havent I played this enough?

I am not finding playing the bass interesting unless I am in a band or a jazz piece, thats when I really start to get into it moving around and really enjoying the low part. Though sitting at home and playing my bass must be as lame sometimes as reading a book.

Any advice on what I could practice or what I should do? I am trying to train my ear so I can pick up songs, and I am also trying to get some friends together so we can form a dedicated and good band. All advice would be aprreciated thanks.
  2. If you're just learning songs, you're not really practicing much (unless you're practicing some new technique, like slapping, or tapping, or picking, or whatever).
    Is there some theory you could work on? How to apply it to music? Learn to analyze the music you're playing.
  3. just_a_poser

Apr 20, 2002
    Yeah, unless you're playing with someone, you can get pretty bored just playing songs.

Picking up theory has helped me though. I _have_ to practice if I want to keep up with everything and become better.
  4. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
  5. Whats wrong with reading?
  6. Davygravy3

Sep 21, 2000
    What would be some good covers to play at a first gig to get the crowd pumped? We play classic rock and some modern rock like Red Hot chili Peppers

Any songs in particular that people love, I know the solo in freebird would get people moveing but what else?
  7. bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    Personally I am one of those rock and roll bass players that never really got too deep into music theory too deep, and here is why. I originally went ot art school. Prior to my getting all that art education I could not keep my hands off a set of paint brushes. After three years of art school I grew terribly bored with it, and these days I hardly ever paint anymore.

What is my point? Well, my point is that when I got too deep into art, it lost its fun!

You maybe experiencing the same malady if you will. Personally I never made the same mistake when it comes to my music. Am I a complete luddite when it comes to music theory? Absolutly not, but I can honestly say that my bass has never stopped being interesting to me since I first picked it up as a sixteen year old back in 1974.

Do I have an answer to your problem? Maybe. It sounds like you maybe thinking about what you are doing too much instead of just having fun with your instrument, which is probably why you enjoy it so much more when you playing with a band. In that frame work you are probably operating on a much more instinctual level. Good luck!:D