1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

practicing

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by cutthroatmolloy, Jun 15, 2007.

1. last night at rehearsals we could hear another band playing a song, over and over, the singer sounded bad for the song they were covering, but thats besides the point.

what do you guys do at rehearsals?
    do you practice one song over and over (alot of bands that use the same rehearsal studios as us do this) or do you just play through your set and then work on new material etc?

im curious about this. i feel as though i would get burned out playing the same song over and over.

2. Practice takes place at home. Rehearsal takes place at band rehearsal. The difference? Practice is learning songs/parts. Rehearsal is putting those songs together. It is expected that our band members come to rehearsal knowing the songs and their parts and we then work on bringing it all together at rehearsal. We may change some things. My bass lines may change to better suit our take on a song. That's how professionals handle rehearsal. We also have writing sessions where I don't touch my bass, just an acoustic guitar or piano, lyric sheets, etc... We write together for the most part, with the exception of lyrics. Lyrics are submitted by the writer (three of us write) in completed form, subject to minor adjustments by the lead singer for feel and melody's sake. Sometimes the writer will bring a song w/ charts and all, but those are always open to change once we start jamming on them.

3. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    +1!

It's very frustrating when people practice riffs etc on rehearsals when you should spend the rehearsal time on putting everything together and focus on making the songs work as whole and polish the details.

4. Frequently, we'll warm up with three or four songs, then get down to business. We spend alot of time working on one song, or even just one part of a song until it sounds just the way we want (or as damn close as we can get it). We also spend time sitting down with only one guitar getting passed around. We actually work alot of stuff out on paper, and discuss our ideas, then when we've all got a good idea of what we want to accomplish, we get up and jam. Sometimes we get ALOT done this way, but sometimes we only get a little done. Really depends on the song and our attitudes.

5. BigOleBoogie

BigOleBoogie

Apr 10, 2007
    Indiana
    At band practice with my main band things have improved. Putting the songs together, playing them as a band. If there is a part that is rough as a band or someone is having an issue we stop, fix start at the previous section and play it out to the end. We will come back to it if it's a minor thing. If it's not, play the song again.

With the fill in band the focus has been on readying me for tonight's gig. Intro's, transitions from one song to the next, any -isms/different arrangements they do to the song so I'm not left in the dust.

Any song learning individually is to be done at home. In my main band we have one person that consistantly refuses to do so and won't be with us long. If things improve collectively I may stay with the main band unless the fill in band asks me to join (it's a better deal all around and what I'm hoping for).

Another thing, and this came up last night: Dynamics. We were just hammering on a Foghat tune and the guitar player was like "when the vox come in let's bring it down". We were just like a bunch of pounding monkeys. It was refreshing to have an ear for that at the time.

6. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    My drummer is a big stickler for practicing a song until we get it right. I myself prefer to run through a bunch of them, and come back to the ugly ones after a while. He on the other hand insists on doing it over and over again until it's perfect. His way does work, but I like to take a little break and work on other stuff at t he same time. It's less stressful.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021