Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

practicing

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by funkopotimus, May 8, 2002.

1. What do your practices consist of, how long do you practice? just curious about what everyone's doing to better themselves at this wonderful instrument.
    kinda hoping to learn some lessons from what you all are doing.

steve

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    My betterment has been two-fold over the last year. I've been working feverishly on the Stick'O Pain, and have myself where I'm feeling like I'm about ready to get really serious and go see Homer Mensch, and I've also been working heavily on ridding physical tension from my playing (less formally).

3. LAWNPOULTRY:

Do you practive "legit" etudes/studies with the bow, or are you working on jazz with it?

I've found through unfortunate personal experience that having a good legit bow arm does not necessarily make you a good arco jazz player, no matter what's happening with your left hand.

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I'm not too interested in bop bowing. My ultimate goal is to play ballads. I might get interested in the other stuff at some time, but I'm afraid that jazz bowed bass isn't a fave of mine...

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Not boring, just annoying. Ya gotta really love bass to sit through a bowed solo, at least in what I've heard. PC, as loved as his bowed solos were, grate on me no less than the rest. When I hear Mr. Gomez bow Spartacus, though, it inspires me to get my own version of the ability...

6. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    I usually practice between 1-3 hours a day on double bass because I don't have one so I have to drive to the school. Currently I'm working on 3 octave major scales, 2 octave melodic & harmonic minor scales, and my teacher gives me etudes to work on as well as pieces. I'm beginning to work on a Vivaldi sonata for the summer (wish me luck haha). I'm not heavily into playing jazz right now so I pretty much only play arco. Ah so much to learn!

7. How long I practice varies anywhere from an hour to five hours a day depending on what else is going on (lately that is mostly determined by the 9 month old baby).

I always start with some scales and arpeggios for 30 to 60 minutes. I'll pick just a couple scales or tonal centers and practice different fingerings, bowings, pizz, tempos, rythms, and recently polyrythms.

I spend time (at least 10 or 15 minutes) sight reading almost every day.

I usually have an etude I'm working on, sometimes an orchestral except or classical solo, and a jazz tune or two that I've picked (sometimes there's stuff I have to work on for my gig). My jazz solos suck so that's what I spend a lot of time on, or trying to incorporate polyrhymic stuff into my walking lines, Or I might just try to get familiar with the changes to a tune I don't know or know well enough.

When and for how long I spend on stuff depends on what I think needs to be address that day based on what I've done recently, etc.

8. can anyone give me advice on what type of stuff i should try to find for practicing reading and the sort, any technique stuff really.

9. James S

James S

Apr 17, 2002
    New Hampshire
  10. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    I wrote pages and pages of random notes and figures on Encore, different keys , time signature range etc, I play along with it,; writing things randomly ,weird intervals etc, has helped me a lot because you have to read for real, I may write a 20 pages exercise and really not know what is on the page by putting accidents on some notes, cutting and pasting here and there, changing time signatures, transposing etc, so the phrasing is not obvious, after a week of that 1 to 2 hours a day you can pretty much read anything.

11. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Did you get any tunes out of your experiments, B? Tell Bill Kopper I said 'Hey' when you see him.

12. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    Hi Ray, I got some real cool phrases, so far haven't done nothin' with it.

I will be recording Bill's 2nd album next week, he talks about you, he tells me you are a great bassist!

13. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    He's both and old friend and very kind.

14. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    Just checked you website, great stuff very impresive, I would love to hear your CD is it for sale? BTW we must be typing in real time! it almost feel like a chat room!:p

15. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    The CD isn't done yet. It seems that I either have time or money, but neither both.

Almost like real time. No gig tonight? I finished early.