Practicle joke on a cop

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by TVD, Aug 8, 2004.

1. TVD

Jul 14, 2004
    So get this. Happened on my gig last night, and was set up by the lady that owns the building, and her son, who books the bands and runs sound. They have this cop that hangs out there every week, he kinda comes with the place, and it was his birthday, so here's what they did....
    They had these two Mexican guys rush the stage and "attack" the lead singer, if anything they were TOO convincing, cuz they each grabbed an arm and were pulling him in opposite directions. During this we were playing this vamp thing. The lady that owns the place gets onstage and starts screaming in the mic for security, her soundman son runs up there, they're all wrestling around. The lady actually gets knocked on her rump, which added to the festivities. Well, the cop comes running up there, and tackled one of the Mexican guys, everyone then stops and yells "Happy birthday" in the mic at him. The crowd loved it, gave him a standing ovation when he left the stage. Funny as Hell, but could have about been dangerous, cuz he was 100% series when he ran up there. Plus, i think that's as fast as that guy's moved in about 30 years. He took it ok, but i got the feeling he wasn't too thrilled with the "false alarm". heh Trent
  2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Dangerous. About two months ago we were playing at a club, and someone got thrown through a plate glass window next door. There was a cop in the club, and he rushed outside and tried to break up the fight. Problem is, one of the guys had a gun, and decided to use it on the cop. Luckily it was a clean shot. The place has since closed down (or it's "under new management"). Somehow I imagine that it might not be the world's greatest idea to play a practical joke on a cop, that involves "violence" in any way, whether real or staged. That's just asking for trouble. But, I'm glad the birthday joke went over okay.
  3. PhunkyPhish

Jul 21, 2004
    Clean shot on the cop or???
  4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Sketchy. Hopefully it was a rent-a-cop without a gun or weapons..
  5. TVD

Jul 14, 2004
    No. It was a full blown city cop, with a gun, club, spray, maybe a tazer and the whole 9 yards. I saw the gun in his holster when he got in stage. Trent
  6. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Wow, pretty ballsy practical joke. I'm glad I wasn't one of the guys rushing the stage.
  7. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Hope the Mexican guys got paid of something for putting their lives at risk
  8. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Yeah, this was a bad idea.
  9. TVD

Jul 14, 2004
    Yeah, i totally agree that it was a very bad idea. And no, i'm like 99.9% sure the Mexican guys didn't get paid anything, or even anything free to eat or drink, for doing it.
    After it was over, i heard the lady owner saying "I'm glad we did it now", so i kinda took her to mean that they were at least on some level worried what would happen. No kidding eh? Trent
  10. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    As a police officer, I think it was a stupid thing to do. I I've got a very good sense of humor and have been involved in many practical jokes, but something like that involving the public and violence is not only dumb, but potentially very dangerous... Ever sit back and wonder why you aren't allowed to yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater? :rollno:

I'm sorry to come off as a stick in the mud, but I certainly wouldn't have been smiling and laughing when the singing started... :scowl:
  11. I think the only thing they could've done brighter would be to get the toy guns that pop out a flag that says "Happy Birthday." :scowl: