Practicng my timing all week.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bluez Dawg, Feb 10, 2006.

1. BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Keep it up!.... Try doing it with a click track. :bassist:
  2. Thats my practice for the week, doing it with the click track my bass teacher gave me. Its this

12 bar blues.

E ( OPEN E)
    A g#
    D b c#
    G e# ( octave )
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Here is something to consider, with regards to timing. Playing in time has two major components. Where the note is placed and where the space between the notes is placed.

A lot of players, even advanced players approach time only thinking about where the notes get placed in a bar and they disregard where notes AREN'T placed in bar, and that ends up hurting their understanding of time.

Truly, I would say that having an excellent timefeel is more about being able to feel that space between notes than simply knowing where the notes fall in a bar.

Another thing to consider, this is another thing a lot of players(myself included) struggle with. When thinking about time, it is beneficial to not only think about how the rhythms related internally against themselves(i.e. how far away the 3rd beat is from the 1st beat) But it is equally beneficial to know where the beats lie on a grid, spaces included.

So you can say there are 4 primary attacks in a bar of 4/4, but there are 4 attacks within each one of those primary ones that also exist. You can refine it as much as you want, but the point is, that there is a difference between hitting on the one and just taking that for what it is, and hitting on the one and knowing that e and a still exist.

Shrug, maybe those concepts are a little advanced, don't mean to overwhelm you. Keep up what you're doing.

Practice with a metronome to get a sense of where the beats should lie, then practice by removing beats in the metronome and filling in the blanks. Most importantly, practice.
  4. Aye I've been practing lots, and I've getting to the point I can tell when I make a mistake with my timing nice eh?
  5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    That's a good place to be, from there you stand to build on it. The thing about timing that you should take into consideration as well. It is a lifelong pursuit. Your timing will never be 'perfect', and even when it is very refined, there will always be room for improvement.

I know firsthand that even victor wooten doesn't have perfect time.

Rhythm is a wonderful thing, keep your ear to the pulse and figure it out, it's good stuff.

6. Aye, Right now I'm learning 12 bar blues, its my first root root root root 4ths 5ths 4ths 5ths line, and it feels good.
  7. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Just one other thing- the notes in your pentatonic scale aren't quite right. A pentatonic scale is just a major scale with the 4th and 7th notes omitted. It's gonna be E string: open, 2nd(fret), 4th, A string: 2nd, 4th, D string: 2nd

8. I know, I still got a lot of work to do before I record another clip, but my timing is pretty good in this clip, even though I messed up a bit you know?
  9. A nice thing Gary Willis told me once was that he used to say to Dennis Chambers that "Chambers' 'internal clock' could beat up my internal clock any day of the week!"

WR posted some good thoughts on time -
    I definitely have a lot of work to do on it also - no profound thoughts here on it...keep practicing - try and play with drummers that are better than you, that'll open your eyes and ears to what can be done with a more advanced sense of time.

10. Big nebula

Big nebula

Feb 15, 2006
    I wonder if learning ever stops?Every bird is forced to leave the nest and left to fend for itself and if its like that in music sometimes.Who is qualified to offer advice when someone five minutes later offers advice to the person offering advice:rolleyes: The mind boggles,but one thing is for sure,we will always be, potentially, learners 'cause no one bassist can claim to do everything on his/her bass! Imagine playing one style all your days 'til you perfect it in your own mind and somebody comes along and does it all and adds a bit more? That's learning I guess.:hyper: