Practise Routines/Habits

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by SlavaF, May 6, 2003.

1. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Hi. (Is this in the right forum? I saw a thread about practising here...)

Today, I figured out that I'm not really gonna be organized at practise (by myself) unless I come up with some kinda plan, an outline of what I will do.

Mine goes like this:

-Stretch for 5 mins
    -Going up the neck, alternating all 4 fretting fingers (fret 5,6,7,8,6,7,8,9,7,8,9,10, etc.) for 25 mins
    -Practise all scales and memorization for 30 mins
    -Practise my poor sight reading for 20 mins
    -Improvise a bass solo for 10 mins.

Play some Dream Theater basslines after that if my hands aren't falling off:D

So do you all have a kind of routine you go through each time you practise? I need some ideas! Thanks in advance.:)
  2. I have changed my practice a bit lately... Tho I don't have much time at the moment.

I used to play scales and try to get quicker at playing them but I have decided that is not really how I want to play scales.

My scale practice is now just running through notes of scales in my head and slowly singing through them when i play them.

I am currently trying to increase what i can play so i am practising songs mostly at the moment and practising my reading to improve how quickly i can learn songs.

Do a search for practice routines and you will come across some good advice from Jazzbo and others.