1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Practise Routines/Habits

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by SlavaF, May 6, 2003.

1. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Hi. (Is this in the right forum? I saw a thread about practising here...)

Today, I figured out that I'm not really gonna be organized at practise (by myself) unless I come up with some kinda plan, an outline of what I will do.

Mine goes like this:

-Stretch for 5 mins
    -Going up the neck, alternating all 4 fretting fingers (fret 5,6,7,8,6,7,8,9,7,8,9,10, etc.) for 25 mins
    -Practise all scales and memorization for 30 mins
    -Practise my poor sight reading for 20 mins
    -Improvise a bass solo for 10 mins.

Play some Dream Theater basslines after that if my hands aren't falling off:D

So do you all have a kind of routine you go through each time you practise? I need some ideas! Thanks in advance.:)

2. I have changed my practice a bit lately... Tho I don't have much time at the moment.

I used to play scales and try to get quicker at playing them but I have decided that is not really how I want to play scales.

My scale practice is now just running through notes of scales in my head and slowly singing through them when i play them.

I am currently trying to increase what i can play so i am practising songs mostly at the moment and practising my reading to improve how quickly i can learn songs.

Do a search for practice routines and you will come across some good advice from Jazzbo and others.

Simon